1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comparative Data : EYFS in a special school setting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by weebeastie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. weebeastie

weebeastie New commenter

We are looking for ways of comparing the progress made by our EYFS pupils ( within physical, learning and communication disabilities) with that made by similar peers in other settings. We are aware that this is a common issue to be raised by OFSTED when inspecting special schools. Have any special school colleagues found a solution?

2. weebeastie

weebeastie New commenter

We are looking for ways of comparing the progress made by our EYFS pupils ( within physical, learning and communication disabilities) with that made by similar peers in other settings. We are aware that this is a common issue to be raised by OFSTED when inspecting special schools. Have any special school colleagues found a solution?

3. If you use B-squared and CASPA then it's very easy to get the comparisons.

4. weebeastie

weebeastie New commenter

Not for EYFS as CASPA handles only National Curriculum data and not F Stage Profile scores. Here lies the problem!

5. I work in Early years in a special school, my class may contain 2 to 6 years olds. I have been told that I must use B squared, I know of another special school that uses B sqared for their early years as well. We have been included in the Durham data and last year in Caspa. It does work though you need to be aware of not marking too enthusiastically or there will be no room for improvement higher up the school................and as we all know every child will move one P level each year! So the government said at some point!

6. That was my understanding of it too, Midgey. The man who set up and trained folk on using Caspa at my school said that it would work for all B-squared data that had been input. I don't use B-squared, although many special early years classes do round here. We are obliged to complete the E-profile at the end of reception year (regardless of what other assessment systems are being used throughout the year) so I refuse to duplicate my workload by running B-squared alongside the profile. But that's just me!
    Personally I really dislike B-squared as it very often ends up being a curriculum within its own right as some teaching staff strive to tick all those boxes so they can move the child on to the next level. It's an assessment tool, not a list of activities to be completed! Can you tell I don't like it? [​IMG]