1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

compact digital cameras - TES advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Want to get a new camera n the sales. But there are hundreds to choose from! Everytime I decide on a camera someone tells me they sent two of such cameras back
    I realise now the pixels mean nothing about the quality. Looking for something that takes good quality photos indoors which I understand some don't because they offer more pixels. Also like the idea of good magnification for wild life. Would like a quick click and go camera but don't want one so clever that it takes so long to focus the shot is gone. But sometimes I like to spent ages pfaffing with settings depending on my mood.[​IMG]
    So thinking £90 might be about the mark? Don't want to link videos and photos to facebook nor need GPS to identify the photos!
    Very confused.[​IMG] I know I will just go into the shops and buy the first camera the salesman tells me is a good buy (last seasons model )
    Any photographers out there?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I've had several Fuji's all have which have been excellent. I know what you mean about waiting so long for the thing to focus though ...

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

it depends upon what you want..most compact digital camera do a good job of taking pictures.However
    if you can afford it stay witha good make such as nikon ,olympus or pentax,,,,,,,but others are fine such as panasonic and samsung
    1 the more pixels........5 .000,000 plus the better.it means if youwant bloww up the picture to a bigger size it wil be better
    2 make sure it recharges the battery.....do not buy ones which use the rechargable small batteries
    3 the size of the screen on the back is inportant/the bigger it is the easier it is to focus. dont buy without trying this out first.make sure yocan see what your photographing
    4 make sure it fitsyou r hand/place you want to keep it.if its too big/heavy it might not do what youwant.also that the controls are easy to use..if they are fiddly you will probabaly press the wrong thing over time
    5price.....do your research.......look online at verioua ones withing a set price....see a few you fancy..go out and try them in the shop and if their price is right buy.if not then buy onlibe
    i bargin folks down by finding a price online and then telling saleperson that i can get it for such a price.they might check it.but often they wil come down in price
    bargin for other bits like a sd card or filte or insurance..sometime sthey do a deal....when i bought muy last camera i saved over £80 as they included bits i would normally have to pay for

5. oldsomeman

persoannly i dont like fuji camera or kodak,,,,,,,,but you must make the choice

6. I have a canon powershot and I like it. It wasn't cheap though

7. oldsomeman

i have panasonic lumix.....but you wont get much change from over 200 pounds lol

8. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

9. Thank you for taking the time to write all the tips.
    I was looking at(and liking) panasonic lumix (how many different ones do they make !) but when I looked at the ones under £100 theyneeded AA batteries so that put me back to square one.
    Yes off to shops early tomorrow to browse cameras..
    I think whatever I buy or pay any camera will take reasonable pictures ...well you can delete the ones that are rubbish. At the end of the day it's how good you are at taking a good shot?

10. go to jessops if you can, they are more likely to give decent advice - or if you are in newcastle the currys in the airport are very good - but you will have to fly somewhere!

11. Funny you should say but i was thinking about flying north for hogmanay but never seem to have enough time at the airport to shop. Just time enough to go and get a squirt of my fav perfume for free ...must be a £5 a shot. Can't afford to by it. Where was I? Yes Jessops. think there may be one in Bath? (nearest I'll get to Newcastle)

12. oldsomeman

the model i was talking about is some £300 or more.but a wonderful camera....the lens on these cameras are leica.lens which is one of the best in the world.
    You can often pick u earlier models cheaply...but indeed avoid if they use the rechargable batteries you have to put into one of those charge units.
    when you buy do pick them up and try them..do the research on line now and then buy the model you have selected>
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_tref_p_n_feature_browse-bin_3?rh=n%3A560836%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A433754031%2Ck%3Adigital+cameras&keywords=digital+cameras&ie=UTF8&qid=1325109789&rnid=182689031#/ref=sr_nr_p_36_1?rh=n%3A560798%2Cn%3A!560800%2Cn%3A560834%2Cn%3A560836%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A433754031%2Ck%3Adigital+cameras%2Cp_36%3A138895031&bbn=560836&keywords=digital+cameras&ie=UTF8&qid=1325109824&rnid=389035011
    here is a few om amazon..

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For indoor shots I'd recommend a camera with a good wide angle lens, say equivalent to 28mm on the old system of measuring lenses. On digital cameras the figure is lower - camera shop assistants should know about this. If they don't, change shop.

For wildlife a 300mm equivalent would cover most needs, but 28-300mm is quite a zoom range.

I've heard good things about the Panasonic Lumix range in this respect.

Another thing to consider is batteries - I personally prefer cameras that take AA batteries as you can buy them almost anywhere. Many cameras have unique own brand batteries, so it makes sense to buy a spare one (or two), but don't get them from a shop if you want to save a few quid - use eBay.

Camera shop staff are under pressure from above to sell extended warranties to meet sales targets - take them with a pinch of salt. This I know because my youngest worked in a camera shop for a year.

14. oldsomeman

I am oonyo my 2nd panasonic.the first was the Z20 which was a really good camera.....but not what you call compact.it looked like an slr but witha fixed mount.
    Now i have a DMC tz20 I find it a great camera.although because you can take oictures touching the viewing screen i do get a few shots i dont want! It does HD filming and £D if i want it to

15. As a photographer, my knowledge of the compact end of the range is now much more limited as there are so many cameras to choose from. I'd echo advice given earlier about going for something from one of the more established camera manufacturers. I'd add into the mix: I like the handling of Panasonic compacts, we use Olympus and Pansasonic cameras for teaching photography at KS4. If the OP is just after a camera, ignore the next bit, but if the OP is wanting to expand their photography, looking at the new range of mirror less interchangeable lens cameras (Sony NEX5, Panasonic GF1, NIkon J1 or V1) are worth a look. Just one thing I'd caution against: number of megapixels. THe more is not the better with compact cameras. The sensor inside of a compact camera is about the size of a little toe nail - it's very small and, therefore, the more pixels you cram onto it, the worse the quality becomes when you shoot in lower light conditions. Besides, most people don't print big - if they print at all. With a compact camera, you are best going for approx 10mp at most - which will still allow you print to approx A3 should you wish.

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I would LOVE a Panasonic Lumix TZ20. I think it has geotagging to so you know exactly where each photo was taken. Whilst 3D is pretty gimmicky I don't think it will be too long till it really takes off. The optical zoom on these cameras is fab too.
    I have a Lumix TZ6 and have to say its fabulous (just older) I'd recommend this range to anyone, definitely worth a look even if you have to look at some of the previous models to the latest TZ20 that oldsomeman has x

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Recommendations from the two ex-Jessops employees in our household:

Sony HX5, HX7, or HX9

Canon SX220 or SX230

The Sony HX5 has the 10 Mpixel resolution recommended by Arthur Dent above. The others have higher resolutions.

18. thank you . i will look these up.
    i went to Currys and looked at a Panasonic compact reduced to £169 that had something like 12x zoom. It was great but next to it was an Olympus that while it was not so easy to use it was lighter and had about the same spec reduced to £79. But couldn't compare it as the battery was flat and as you said needs its own charger. So was a bit miffed.
    Went to camera x change and they had a leica compact at £600+ . Anyway it started to rain again and couldn't find Jessops so had to shelter in the pub.
    Will try again tomorrow.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have had a fuji finepix for 3 years now. Take a excellent picture, easy to use. Also very robust as I dropped it down a flight of stone steps a couple of years ago. It went down about 20 steps and the only damage is a slight chip to the corner of the case. Still works perfectly. It has 8 x zoom plus another 4 times digital zoom.

20. As it's been raised, ignore any digital zoom figures. All digital zoom does is enlarge the centre of the picture - so image quality goes down. Optical zoom up to 12x is fine. Be wary of any camera offering more. Even at 10x or 12x the image quality at the end of the zoom range will be compromised slightly. Of course, it's useful to have that kind of reach occasionally.