1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Commuting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cg82, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I've just found a really exciting job in a small village school in Derbyshire. It took 50 mins to drive there at 8 o'clock this morning in good weather. I'm really tempted to apply but my current job is 5 mins from my house, so my questions are... how long does it take you to get to work, how bad are country lanes in winter REALLY and is it worth it?
    Thanks!

2. I've just found a really exciting job in a small village school in Derbyshire. It took 50 mins to drive there at 8 o'clock this morning in good weather. I'm really tempted to apply but my current job is 5 mins from my house, so my questions are... how long does it take you to get to work, how bad are country lanes in winter REALLY and is it worth it?
    Thanks!

3. I work in a Derbyshire school too. We have 2 teachers who live 40 - 50 mins drive away from school. One lives towards a larger city, and the other up into the rural part of Derbyshire. The city one has difficult and stressful journeys in winter and is sometimes late. The rural one rarely arrives whenever there is any snow about, and when they do, continues to fret about getting home the whole day.
    I wouldn't comtemplate it unless i was thinking of relocating to the area, especially if you have children in childcare that you need to get back to and tight deadlines to collect them by. Just too much stress from what i've seen.
    Sorry!
    Penny

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I live in rural area and generally most teachers in our LA travel up to an hour as schools are few and far between and most down country lanes. You just learn to cope and get on with it.

5. Is the job exciting enough to sacrifice 10 hours of your life every week? 10 hours is a long time to be sitting in a car every week. Is the job higher paid? It'll be a lot of wear and tear on the car on top of the cost of petrol. I used to work a 45 minute drive from home and after a year I found a job with a much easier commute. I couldn't justify the hours I was wasting.
    If it's a great job with a fantastic salary then it's worth considering, if not, stay where you are!!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you want the job enough, then go for it and sort the commute later.

I used to have a commute that was an hour so so on a good day and worse in winter. It was fine because I loved the job and the drive was beautiful. I got lots of planning done in my head during the journey and loved the time to unwind as well.

7. For the last 8 years I have commuted across country on a journey that takes me about 40 mins in fine weather and up to an hour in bad. Yes, there are days when I find the journey stressful and quite perilous but these days are few and far between. For the majority of the year, I really enjoy the commute as it gives me time to think about the day ahead and wind down afterwads.
    When there is snow and ice around, I do whittle about the car journey but I love the school where I teach and I guess it can't be that bad as I'm now approaching my ninth winter there!

8. I wouldn't apply for it if you currently work just 5 mins from work !!!!!.
    I spend an hour a day and often more just driving, that adds up to 5 hours at least ( how long does it take you to do your weekly plan ???????????)
    I also spend around £25 a week on petrol and just going to school spend £1000 so after 10 years of being there. that's £10,000 !!!!!. If stay there until I retire, that's another £30,000 at today's cost. Imagine that as an extra retirement.
    When it snows, I take my life in my hands literally to get to work. I would die to live just down the road.

9. I too commute and wouldn't recommend it. Apart from the cost it's the amount of time I waste sitting in a car each week. If there's an accident on the motorway a 45 min journey can take 2.5 hours as there is only one route I can take. I have also developed back/shoulder problems from the amount of driving (combined with sitting in unadultlike positions in Rec!). Unless the job is really really worth and if you enjoy your current workplace I wouldn't change. Like the poster above I would love a job near to my house.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I was doing a similar commute for just over a year and it becomes wearing. I kept the job and moved 10 mins away from school. Although it can still take over an hour in the winter ...

11. The nature of the commute is always what mattered more to me. I did a similar 45 min or so commute to a small rural school in Derbyshire, and apart from one night with filthy fog where the head kicked us out of the door at the same time the pupils left to make sure we got home safely, I loved the drive in - especially one moment where you came over the top of a hill to one of the valleys laid out in front of you... found the drive really wound me down after a day at work. Also found Derbyshire quite a nice LEA to work in in terms of their support for small schools on a semi-related note. If it involves coming down the A38 though - I did end up late a couple of times during the year from crashes on it and would have to call into school to tell them I was stuck in a jam and it wasn't going anywhere fast. I did find things like evening play performances a bit of a bind because it really wasn't worth me going home, so I'd end up rattling around in school for a while when others went home - but it was probably number 2 on my fave places I've ever worked really.
    However the year I worked in central Newcastle and had to drive over the Tyne Bridge in rush hour each morning, although a shorter commute both time and distance wise, nearly broke me completely and drove me to smoking quite heavily while stuck in endless traffic jams each evening, plus having to leave at 7am each morning to beat the traffic and if you were 10 minutes late you hit absolutely everything - I hated it.
    Mind you I also did a year in the school the next village across from my own - that WAS sheer bliss in terms of the rolling out of bed and being almost at work factor - but not everyone could stand living in the same street as one of the kids they taught! It didn't bother me - indeed it amused me a lot when one of the kids from the other school was playing a silly game in the street (football with stones - one of those daft things that seems like a good idea when you're about 7 years old), caught my car windscreen and I had about 6 of our kids on my doorstep within minutes to liberally sprag up the child in question! (Also had a hilarious moment with some trick or treaters who didn't know where I lived... especially since they were Y6, had tried arriving like the first week in October and I wound them up for the rest of the month by asking them what date it was when I saw them in school each day!). That one did have the drawback that when school closed because of snow and a particularly lethal hill - and parents decided to show up and do a dump and run anyway - that someone had to go in to help the head supervise the dumped kids and since I was near enough to get in (lived on the other side of the evil hill), I had to but these things happen.

12. Thanks so much for all your advice - it's really making me think, but to be honest, I'm leaning towards applying because I can really see myself there!
    Still undecided, but excited at the prospect of a village school and a promotion...

13. I don't think a 50 minute commute is that bad. My commute is 30 mins, I've been doing that for 4 years now as my Uni was also the same distance away. The journey home could take 45 mins or more in traffic but I've never found it a problem. You just get on with it and it becomes part of your day.