1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Commuting with the extra demands of an independent school?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by cathiecooper96, Jul 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cathiecooper96

cathiecooper96 New commenter

Hi All,

Just wondering how far you all commute to work. I am currently living a 15 minute walk away from work, but am seriously considering moving in with my long term partner - problem is this would mean increasing my commute to a 50 minute drive. Do you find you are too exhausted to get back home safely and how do you manage it?

Thanks! Cathie

2. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

It massively depends on how you feel and the type of drive it is (is it 50mins on good roads with no traffic or sitting in loads of traffic to not get far - I find the latter much more stressful and tiring). I have commuted that far before but was working in the state sector and it was maneageble. Does the commute time change massively at rush hour which then means you have to leave super early or if you don't get out by 5pm theres no point leaving till well after 6pm? Only you know what the demands of your independent school are and in reality what time you will now have to leave home and get home. I am moving to an independent school in september and will be 40 mins drive away. I have calculated when I will be home and how this will affect my home life and after school activities with my children. I actually chose the 40 min commute over a job offer at another independent 25mins away. This was was due to looking at the school day timings and realising that at the other school I'd have had to stay until 6pm 2 days a week and even with the shorter commute would be home later!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I commute about an hour each way and it is usually fine.
    BUT it depends on your school and how happy you are there.
    In weeks where things are stressful or worrying, then a commute becomes a problem. In weeks where everything is going well, then the commute is positive.

I leave very early in the morning to miss the traffic and so get lots done before the day starts. I try to leave earlyish (about 4.30) on a couple of days a week and almost never leave after about 6pm.

I used to work in a school about 15 mins cycle ride away, but came home far more tired because it was a horrible place to work.

sabrinakat and ViolaClef like this.
  4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Don't overthink it. If you're happy with your partner and your job, the commute will be no issue. I drive 45 minutes each way at the moment with no impact on energy levels.

Life before work - move in with your partner.

5. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I had friends who did a one hour commute each way. They looked exhausted. I did a 15 minute relaxed commute for 28 years. Arrived at school relaxed and stress free.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

About 40 minutes, depending upon traffic. Agree with @caterpillartobutterfly that how happy you feel at work will impact on your energy levels and ability to manage a long commute. A long commute and poor workplace would be awful. It will be different for everyone, but for me 40-45 minutes would be my maximum in an ideal world.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In my ideal world, 10 mins cycle/walk would be my maximum!
    However, given the ideal isn't yet around...an hour for a fab school is the most I could manage. (Which is what I have!)

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

45 minutes was fine for me - the good bit was that I was going against the main flow of traffic both morning and afternoon so queues weren't too bad.
    25 minutes walk into school with the dog was best of all!

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

In the shorter term, you could hang on to your place for a bit longer and see how it goes - if you have a late evening at school and can't face the drive, you've got an alternative, and if that happens much, you have your answer. Presumably you've had the cost of two places for a while, so a little longer might be possible.

In the longer term, could you look at living somewhere inbetween?

10. tonbridge87

tonbridge87 New commenter

Hi, As others have said, it all depends on the school. I used to work in London and commuted for over an hour and a half, sometimes much longer if there were issues on the line. To begin with, it was fine as i enjoyed the school I was at and accepted the commute with the much lower cost of housing. However, with changes at the school, I began to resent the time spent and expense of travelling to and from work. I have recently moved and my commute is to a smaller city with a 25 min one way and 40 min return at the end of the rush hour. We have two late evenings a week till 5.30/6.00pm and a few evening commitments such as parents' evenings four times a year as well as various events and shows, but as I am much happier it is acceptable. I think it does depend on your enjoyment of the school. I do know, from my London days of staff doing huge commutes from the south coast, and staff accepted it as it meant a better quality of life/schooling for their families.