1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Commuting Costs

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by henriette, Mar 1, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

17.5 miles each way on the M4 heading into London - varies between 20 minutes and an hour and a half (depends on day of the week, weather, accidents etc) in the morning; 20 minutes home if I leave school before 5.30, at least an hour otherwise.

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

The way petrol prices are going I would get a school where you can cycle !!
    I do 18 miles each way. Got rid of my thirsty 1.6 to replace it with a 107 (68 mpg) and I'm still feeling the cost of commuting !!

3. Thanks for your advice.
    Luckily, the school where I will be doing myfinal placement is 1.5 miles away so I will be cycling.
    At the moment I am applying for jobs up to 15 miles away but would prefer up to 10 miles. I think I will try and hold out until Easter unless a locl one comes up.
    I appreciate everyone taking the time and trouble to reply.

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

You have to balance the cost/time spent commuting with the danger to your health and property of living too close to school.

You need to live far enough away from your workplace to ensure that the random acts of vandalism, violence and verbal abuse that you will be blamed for at work do not follow you to your family.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What sort of school do you work in bbibbler? That sounds terrible!

6. Totally agree, bbibler!

7. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Oxymoron!

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You can only answer the questions about commuting time and costs at a local level, and of course what you are prepared to put up with may be different from others.
    (Answer for me is currently rather less than a mile, which I walk or cycle. When applying for NQT posts, my limit was "commutable by public transport from city where OH is studying" - it wasn't a fixed radius, for that reason.)
    It's also worth considering the nature of the commute. I commuted for eight years - a half-hour bus journey (plus 10 minutes walk either end) or in a car pool with colleagues. Both gave me a nice period of downtime at the end of the day: on the bus, I could read, or get my thoughts together, or organise my list of things to do. The car pools were an excellent informal professional development tool, especially when I commuted with a colleague from the same department: we would discuss things that had worked well/badly, swap tips, bounce ideas. When I moved school, I discovered that I needed to create that end-of-day downtime, and make more use of the staffroom for ideas-exchange. Whether your commute can have benefits depends on how you'll be doing it, whether you find driving the route relaxing or stressful, whether the train/bus is also used by pupils, etc.
    Depending on age of children, you have to check how childcare works with the commute, too. Some teachers end up using nurseries near the school rather than home, if they need to leave before local ones are open. Some use childminder and primary school nearest their school, but of course there's no guarantee you can get the school place.

Regarding living too near the school: this is my third post close home. With the first, a school with a fairly disadvantaged intake, I did have problems - my house, being near a junction, was particularly tempting as getaway was easy. Interestingly, on one occasion, the culprit was a pupil from another school, although some of ours were with him. The second was a faith school, where most of the pupils did not come from the immediate neighbourhood: my commute was shorter than theirs, and I did not see them out of school. I only started the current post recently, but the pupils have been universally pleasant when I have encountered them in the street. I think being in a village helps, and possibly also the fact that when they see me, I'm usually with my daughter. So on that issue, you have to judge your local situation. You could always ask (probably during one of the less formal parts of an interview day) whether any staff live locally and whether they find it a problem.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I have always lived in the town where I teach - although not always in catchment.
    I currently live a mile from school - very few problems. It depends on the school though.
    P

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Absolutely: I wouldn't have lived remotely near the catchment area of my last school for just that reason.

As NQT jobs are hard to come by I suspect some teachers do quite a commute.
    Now in a non teaching job, if I'm in my office I drive 7 miles (30-40 minutes) to and from work. If I'm based elsewhere for the day I might travel anything up to 100 miles each way to work.

11. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

My last job was a 3.5 mile commute and all the kids knew/know exactly where I live (it's a small,rural community) with absolutely no problems. I've had kids deliver course work to my house.
    Currently my commute is an hour each way and covers just under 36 miles each way. I drive a Subaru Impreza, btw, not an under powered Fiat. That said, I wouldn't want to move much nearer and certainly wouldn't want current pupils knowing my address.

12. The distance isn't what's important. I used to work in Halifax (not education), and at one point I lived in Chapel Allerton, which meant driving across the top of Leeds, through Pudsey and Bradford to reach work (or going through the middle of Leeds). I later moved out on the moors which wasn't much nearer in terms of miles but took about fifteen minutes rather than an hour.
    Irritatingly the place I worked was sold to a company financed by a VCT who were based in Seacroft, about five minutes from where I used to live :)

13. Hi, I've lived just over a mile from my school in inner city London for over 10 years and can recall 2 slightly uncomfortable incidents. These are far outweighed by the countless positive encounters with students, parents and ex students and the feeling that maybe what you do is helping the community where you live.
    I previously had a commute of 45 mins each way, when we started a family it was the obvious thing to go. However, London gives you that flexibility, in other areas a commute might be unavoidable. Good luck with the job hunting.

14. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am on my second placement and travel about 17 miles each way. It takes me about 35 minutes. I see that as a reasonable distance. I have quite an efficient car and it costs me well under £20 a week.
    I am currently applying for two jobs, one is 40 miles away and one is 35 miles away. The first could take between 1 hour and 1 hour 15 mins depending on traffic, the second about 1 hour. For me, one hour travel is not ideal but it is an acceptable distance. The fuel costs would be quite high, maybe £40-50 week in my car. But I weigh that against having no job next year so I know the option I'd rather take. (But I do wonder how tiring I will find the daily commuting if i get one of the jobs)
    But then I am married with no children so my priorities may be different to someone with small children.