1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Commuted to Madrid from London - Need Police Clearance?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Oct 9, 2019.

  1. Newstein

    Newstein New commenter

    I took a four month job in Madrid two years back. I traveled weekly. Returned home every Friday, and went back on Sundays. Stayed in various temporary places during the 4 months. Do I have to produce police clearance certificate to get work in the UK?
  2. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Yes, probably. Get it quick though before Brexit slows everything down....
  3. tb9605

    tb9605 Occasional commenter

    Did you have a UK address throughout this period? Were you legally resident in the UK? If so, then probably not - CRB checks are based on your place of residence, not your place of work.

    In the end, this may be up to your potential employer. Are they happy with just the UK CRB check? I would imagine that this is equivalent to gap year students - often new teachers straight out of University have spent some period of the past 5 years travelling outside the UK, but would an employer require an NQT to provide certificates from all the countries they visited while inter-railing? Probably not.

    If you do need a Spanish Police check, the good news is it is relatively straightforward and cheap to get, provided you had an NIE number while your were here.
  4. blue451

    blue451 Lead commenter

    You don't need an NIE number, you can do it with a passport number I think.

    If you're back in Spain for any reason it's very easy to get and well worth doing - even if you don't need it now there's no guarantee some future employer won't want it, even if that seems quite unlikely.

    It's possible to do remotely as well, online, but I've never done it that way so don't know how easy and quick it is.
  5. 576

    576 Established commenter

    I would rather have a police check that no one ever wants to see than not have one that someone does ask for.

    Your employment history will show that you worked in Spain for 4 months so it wouldn't surprise me if a head did ask.
  6. tb9605

    tb9605 Occasional commenter

    This is all true. However:

    If you were still resident in London during the time you were working in Madrid, then you did NOT live outside the UK, so the DBS check will cover this.

    I'd spent 8 months travelling around Europe before I started my PGCE. Neither the University nor my first employer wanted to see certificates from the 20 countries I'd visited - thank goodness!

Share This Page