1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Community Languages - Slovak, Dutch, Polish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nickiswiss, Dec 8, 2010.

1. nickiswiss

nickiswiss New commenter

Hi
    I have recently become in charge of community languages at my school, and have been trying to find out if an exam board does a GCSE is Slovak, Dutch or Polish?
    We are a very international school and we want our native students to take the GCSE in their home language, but I am struggling to find an exam board.
    Any help would be really gratefully received :)
    Thanks
    Nicki

2. nickiswiss

nickiswiss New commenter

Hi
    I have recently become in charge of community languages at my school, and have been trying to find out if an exam board does a GCSE is Slovak, Dutch or Polish?
    We are a very international school and we want our native students to take the GCSE in their home language, but I am struggling to find an exam board.
    Any help would be really gratefully received :)
    Thanks
    Nicki

3. yasf

yasf New commenter

Dutch (OCR) and Polish (AQA) definitely. Check Edexcel as well. CIE may also do first language exams which could be more relevant.
    Slovak - don't remember seeing it. Is it the same as another language with a different name (like Kosovar = Albanian)?

4. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Slovak is the official language of Slovakia, one of Czechoslovakia's two successor states. Slovak and Czech are similar but not idential Slavonic languages. Neither Czech nor Slovak are offered as examinable subjects by any GCSE board.

5. yasf

yasf New commenter

Heard a rumour that community languages won't be included in the new bac (if the govt. doesn't fall apart over university fees first).
    Do you know how they will differentiate between them as there is a hell of a gray area there.

6. Google <u>Section 96</u> - it'll take you to a searchable database in the Department of Education.

7. yasf

yasf New commenter

Doesn't help I'm afraid. (unless you can point to a particular list)
    Community languages can include French and Spanish (in fact they are considered so by many London boroughs) and MFL increasingly includes Asian languages.
    I still contend that they will find it very hard to separate the two.

8. Hi,
    found your message, when google-ing 'GCSE Slovak'. I have read your respond but I see it was posted in 2010??? Would you pls know if there is any update on this? I am Slovak and a mother of two daughters and if they could do Slovak GCSE I would be more than happy. Thanks

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Still no exams offered in Slovak - sorry

10. Any idea if the Czech language is being offered in any examining board?
    Thank you
    Dagmar[​IMG]

11. I'd have thought a call/emaill to the Embassy (Cultural Attaché) would elicit an informed response. Also:

Examining bodies

Oxford, Cambridge and Royal Society of Arts (OCR), London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCC1), GNVQ Business certificates in foreign languages, Institute of Linguists, Alliance Francaise, Delf/Dalf (recognised by the French government), Diploma in translation. These may be harder or more "adult" than gcse (I used them in FE), but then the pupils presumably have greater competence. The exams have the advantage of being more work-related.