1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

community cohesion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shellymussell, Jan 29, 2011.

1. I've been asked by my headteacher to do some work on community cohesion in school. We have good links locally but not nationally or internationally (apart from cultural weeks etc). I'm not too sure where to begin really and was wondering if anybody could give me any starting points. I thought I might start with an audit in school to see what people do via the curriculum but that's been my only inspiration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. A lot of schools have done email projects with schools with a different ethnic make-up. However, I wonder if you've noticed that Michael Gove has said that community cohesion is now 'peripheral' to inspections.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I do wonder what will happen with co co ( as the inspectors refer to it, what a wheeze those guys are!)
    since almost every ofsted report I've read over the last 18 months ( and I've read lots as part of my role) has had this as an action point, I do wonder what will happen if Gove chucks it out.
    When ofsted revisit, will schools be penalised for not developing it further as advised, even though it's no longer on the national agenda? Answers on a postcard ...

4. This is precisely what has happened at my school. We were inspected in October and community cohesion was a major area for action. Hadn't heard about Michael Gove's intentions for it being 'chucked out'. What to do??!!! Do I spend time doing it in response to inspection or wait and see?

5. we are in same boat but i think you must always address ofsted actions as this is teh first thing they check on a visit
    so even if no longer flavour of month with gov its still on your schools agenda because of last report. Added to which giving children a rounded understanding of the wider world always was and should be central to education surely

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

They won't be bothered about this if it is not covered in the next framework.
    Yes, but that's very different from the last government's politically motivated concept of "community cohesion".

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I agree. In many schools where it's graded good or outstanding, it's because the right boxes have been ticked. I fail to see how teachers giving up their holiday to visit Japan/ India/ Africa etc makes the educational experience at the school any better for the children.

8. That's laugh. Going on a fab holiday, you mean? Whether or not it benefits the pupils much is another matter -it may will depend on the teacher - but I don't see that the teacher has anything to complain about.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It isn't a holiday though. It's work and it's usually accompanied by additional work at home before and after the visit.
    Call me old fashioned but I see precious little of my young children and I want to spend my holidays with them, doing things we like because it's my holiday! I think 99% of teachers if not 100% in my school feel the same way.

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I'm with you entirely, Curlygirly. I have tried to take on far less weekend work this year (not yet at zero, admittedly) to spend time with my own kids, much as I love other people's... Better still is if I can take the whole family - we have had some lovely weekends away as a family this way!

11. I'll tell you what, then, Curlygirly and Andrew Jeffrey, if anyone wants to pay for me to visit Africa/India/Japan in my holidays, just send me a PM - I'll be glad to accept. And I'll come and do some fab lessons in your schools afterwards.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You can go, but don't expect to be paid for it. Most people I know who go usually make a contribution to the air fare too and accommodation, particularly when visiting less developed areas of the world.
    Andrew you sound like me, the holidays are sacrosanct, I only go in to sort the alarm and oversee any building work.

13. Fine, I will make a contribution; you will pay the rest, right?

14. Is there anything that the students can get directly involved in with their own community? I think the best place to start, before expanding to wider or global communities, it woul be good to understand their own community.

15. It is a good idea to undertake an audit of all three community cohesion strands. There are a number of example that different local authorities have developed. If you email me I will send you some examples - billboll1@mac.com

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

17. Have you tried the epals website? you register and then put up your profile (eg where you are and what you are looking for - whole school, indivdual class contact etc) then teachers will email you if you fit their requirments, or you can search the profiles and email them. I had emails from USA, hungary, italy, Africa etc etc. I set up a class-class US link using an internet platform but you can just email back and forth. Kids loved it.

On the other matter mentioned of teachers' trips abroad, I did one once to a european country in half term (I have no kids, btw!) fare and accomodation was paid for and you only had to pay for your food for which you could claim an allowance afterwards (it didnt cover my fillet steak, tho...)
    <u>But</u> we had to be up at 6 am every morning, out all day every day visiting schools (nice free lunches ;) and write a group report every evening about what we had seen in relation to a specific educational issue.
    There was follow up work and meetings too. A great experience but NOT a holiday!