1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

communication with parents

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Jodiec1984, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I am currently completing a Postgrad course in Autism. I am special needs teacher working in an ASD school. My current assignment is based around communicating with parents, its importance and the benefits and possible struggles that can occur when trying to get parents 'on board. Does know of any good books, journals, articles based around this topic?
    Thanks in advance
    Jodie

2. I am currently completing a Postgrad course in Autism. I am special needs teacher working in an ASD school. My current assignment is based around communicating with parents, its importance and the benefits and possible struggles that can occur when trying to get parents 'on board. Does know of any good books, journals, articles based around this topic?
    Thanks in advance
    Jodie

3. Just out of curiosity, in what respect would parents need to be 'got on board'?

4. see if you can get a copy of the AFA advice on 'structured conversation' if you have access to 'Athens' library and word search for 'parents' there should be tonnes in there too. My summer dissertation is looking at the impact of parental support and pupil progress... I have found it interesting to look into so far.

5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Do you know The Transporters DVD? http://www.thetransporters.com/research.html There is a tiny video clip here of a mother talking to Prof Simon Baron Cohen which perhaps you could show?

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I am a parent of a child with fairly profound special needs (although not autism), and a teacher. If you want some anecdotal evidence, pm me.