1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Communication with Head

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Figmo, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hello all,

I emailed my Head teacher to let him know I was applying for a job and to ask if I could put him down as referee - he was very good about it. I did not get an interview.

I now have another job I wish to apply for, do I need to inform him again? And about all future applications?

He may get many emails if that's the case! I'm keen to move on. Slightly awkward.

Thanks, lovely people.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Yes you need to inform him again and it's good manners to ask in advance.

Depends what you want from the Head. If you're after some improvement in your situation at the school then it's an oblique way of reminding him that @Figmo is about to leave the building.

If you're leaving no matter what then a general permission for future references is fine. This is an important courtesy but still a courtesy so make your request as politely as possible. Better to see him, if possible.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you can, go and have a chat. Explain what you are hoping to achieve; you can also mention aspects of your work that you would like mentioned in reference; you might even find the HT would go through your application and make suggestions......