1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Communication Media Devices: English to Language X and Vice-Versa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

I have seen foreign students carrying bilingual/bidiectional electronic dictionaries which are quite handy in lessons.

Technology has advanced so much that there could be English to Language X and Language X to English VOICE communication devices.

Are there?
    For example how can the claasic question 'How much is this?' be spoken to the shopkeeper in Chinese?

If you know/have used gadgets that do voice translation, please share your knowledge!

I read this with interest, but never used the facility:
    https://www.echinacities.com/expat-life/4-English-Chinese-Voice-Translator-Apps-that-Actually-Work

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Just using Google translate myself. Just need to be careful. Long utterances can be problematic, keep it short. Word order and verb conjugations are often too different for the device to manage.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

google translate is fine for getting understood, but no good for grammar, etc

4. 576

576 Established commenter

They definitely have what you are describing in Japan.
    But I've never seen them anywhere else.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Google Pixel Buds translate in real time from voice. I've never tried them myself but have heard that results are varied. There's definitely nothing better on the market though

Newstein likes this.
  6. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Duōshǎo qián? = 'How much is it?'

You can download the yudao or youdao dictionary, which is useful for simple sentences. I use the app with the parrot icon for speaking translations - sorry don't know the name - but you must be very careful. Speak slowly and use simple sentences.

Or copy & paste Chinese into Wechat and use that translator.

Newstein likes this.
  7. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

I googled a lot and came up with iLi - offline speech translator. Saw the youtube video demos as well. Sounds good. Price? A mere £237.47 at Amazon. I will go back to my body language and acting communication, drawing and google translation skills. And if all fail, I will resort to 'call a friend'.

8. 576

576 Established commenter

You might want to add some language classes to your list.

Helen-Back and norwichred like this.