1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Communicating with Buyers (or rather, not being able to...)

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by myersale, Jun 15, 2020.

1. myersale

myersale New commenter

To the best of my knowledge, the only way buyers (both potential and actual) can communicate with the author of a resource is by leaving a review. This is problematic for several reasons:

1. Dissatisfied buyers will leave a bad review in order to ask questions.

2. Future buyers will either be put off by the ratings and/or have no way to contact the seller to ask any open queries they may have about a product before they commit to buying.

Either way, the situation is less-than-ideal and creates unnecessary lose-lose situations. This has happened to me on several occasions. Buyers have left bad reviews to complain about technical issues that a) I could easily have rectified if they had contacted me in some other way beforehand, or b) had nothing to do with the quality of the resource & product, but were due to the buyer not being able to use the ZIP file properly, etc.

Why doesn't TES introduce a product Q&A tab that allows buyers to contact the seller and ask questions about a resource, and in turn also provides valuable insights for future buyers? This function is found often enough on other e-commerce websites, and so I'm baffled as to why TES has not developed something like this.

In fact, I'm baffled and altogether disappointed at the lack of innovation, overall, that TES has shown throughout the several years that I have been a seller here.... but that's a discussion perhaps for another thread...

vcurrie19 likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

TES lets people download resources, but I think they view this as some sort of add-on, rather than a dedicated e-commerce offering. The need to innovate and improve the ways in which you meet the needs of both sellers and buyers is key for the likes of Amazon. The success/survival of their business depends on it. For TES, the sale of resources is only one part of what they do, as shown in the overview of how they see themselves:

https://www.tes.com/tesglobal/articles/tes-announces-new-owners

Tes at a glance:

• 11.6m registered users on tes.com, growing at 45K per week
    • 20% growth year on year on tes.com, including 2.1m average weekly unique users
    • 1m classroom resources downloaded on peak days and 230m last year (over 1 billion downloads since Tes launched a resource sharing platform)
    • 500K teachers clicked to apply for jobs in the past 12 months
    • 5th largest ITT (initial teacher training) organisation in the UK
    • 1st largest library of Continuous Professional Development content in the English-speaking world
    Perhaps they feel the provision of ITT, CPD content, and job searches and recruitment are of greater importance, and more deserving of the time/money/effort required to innovate or enhance?

3. myersale

myersale New commenter

Thanks for this reply. It certainly explains why TES is so far behind similar sites in many ways. My question about how to communicate with buyers remains...