1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Commonly Misspelt Words In History???

Discussion in 'History' started by jamiebarton, Dec 13, 2011.

1. 'Parliament' is a classic - but what are some of the other key words in History you see errors with on a day to day basis?
    Post below.

2. 'Parliament' is a classic - but what are some of the other key words in History you see errors with on a day to day basis?
    Post below.

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Biast (Arrrrrgggghh!)

Primininster

Not strictly spelling, but "would of" instead of "would have" gets my goat too.

More to follow.

4. millenium

5. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

'Britian', 'Byast' (and numerous other versions), 'Pheasants' (as in poor medieval farmers), 'Independant' , 'affect' instead of 'effect', 'Starlin' (I've seen 'Starling' as well), 'barb wire' (particularly common after a dreadful film of the same name starring Pamela Anderson appeared), 'Gladston', Palmerstone', 'Napolean' 'Isreal'. Nye Bevan and Ernest Bevin continue to confuse those studying the post-war Labour government. These all spring readily to mind. However, teachers should not get too complacent. If I'm not careful I miss out odd letters: 'particularly' is a particular blind spot of mine.

6. Ghandi instead of Gandhi

7. "the Suffragettes were increasingly violet" was my favourite this term.

8. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

Failure to use capital letters seems to be increasing rapidly, presumably another result of textspeak. I am now finding for the first time in my teaching career that the majority of new Key Stage 3 pupils do not instinctively use capital letters for proper nouns.

9. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

To be pedantic, the failure to use capital letters is a matter of punctuation rather than spelling!

10. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I know, but it's been winding me up so much I had to branch out!

11. Essay --> SA
    Irritates me beyond belief

12. Solider!

Most of my year
    9 classes spelt the word soldier incorrectly in a recent assignment*!*?!

13. Oh, that one gets me too. Or when they write "could of" instead of "could have". "Soilders" instead of "soldiers" is a common one as is "goverment" instead of "government".

14. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

"Worshiped" instead of "worshipped" is almost universal amongst my Year 7s and the moment! Although I imagine more irritating for our RE colleagues ...