1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Common Misconceptions in Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by englishteach101, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

One I from a year 8 boy today: I can't play the guitar without a pick. Don't you have a pick miss?
    Me: What do you think fingers were invented for?

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Very spooky, I heard almost exactly the same thing this afternoon!
    [​IMG]

3. Absolutely, but a number of our students had music as their 5th or 6th choice! We always use our FFT data when we can to motivate students, but it is difficult when neither they nor I are allowed to see the full FFT data. It also might give us a kick up the backside if a student is estimated an A and there's a 40/50% chance of this (and we disagree) we seriously rethink our strategies with the student!

I do set homework at times for my students but it isn't every week. I would tend to agree with him. There aren't many departments within our school that run clubs (Music, PE and Drama) and we give up lunchtimes and after schools for the students, which we are obviously ok with doing. But in return why should our workload then be more than other departments? For example, why should I have to do my work,mark homework and clubs when the Art department run clubs. I would also suggest that some of those clubs may count as a homework. We also have various concerts and productions to run throughout the year!

4. So much of this rings true with what I hear in my classroom! As for homework - I would far rather encourage my pupils to attend an extra-curric activity than moan at a child for not completing homework. I now set homework which is practical, such as come to the dept at break and practise the chord progression for your protest song. I know that a number of kids won't do this (the dept would be completely hideous if they all arrived at break...), but it always interests me which pupils come in and have a go. SLT still want evidence that pupils are doing homework, so I've been known to send photos of various pupils practising as proof.

Common misconceptions 1) That my job involves us sitting around the piano singing all day 2) I must know every song/symphony/sonata etc that's ever been composed 3)That choirs/band performances are so easy to arrange and all the pupils have natural ability and therefore it all sort of happens by magic 4) That if something in the dept is broken, such as a guitar string, a keyboard socket etc that the dept is 'rubbish' and I clearly have time to sort it out straight away and it's the teacher's the fault.

However, I don't want to sound like I'm moaning. Despite all this, it is a brilliant subject to teach and I'd rather be in the music dept every day than anywhere else...well, I'd quite like to work a 3 day week but that's life.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sounds good, but surely there's a difference? Homework not done = punishment. Do you punish kids for not attending the co-curricular activity?
    How is working in the department at break homework?

6. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Aside from this not being at home, it would prevent a student using break time for recreation, re-fuelling, attending extra-curricular music or other extra-curricular activities.

7. That you have to play the piano to be a music teacher.

8. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I don't see how you can teach music (classroom music in secondary school) and never play the piano. How do you demonstrate things? How do you back your kids' performances?

9. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I play the piano, and I feel that it is of a huge benefit, but I know others who don't play the piano who don't feel that it's a barrier to their teaching.
    I think it helps if there's someone in the dept who does play the piano though.

10. Actually they do acount for about 2/3rds of "classical" music.