1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Common courtesy?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Moremarking, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Moremarking

Moremarking New commenter

I’ve been to two primary interviews recently. The first was a tiny school and there were three candidates. I was surprised to be notified by email that I had been unsuccessful. Surely it’s not too onerous, and a basic courtesy, to pick up a phone?
    Fast forward to another interview. I saw no other candidates as it was an afternoon appointment. The head vaguely thanked me and said she’d be in touch “shortly”.
    Three days later, no contact. Not even a “We are still deliberating” message.
    What has happened to people? They teach and claim to value qualities such as politeness and empathy. They issue children with flimsy certificates praising them for showing their school values.
    Preparing for interview takes time and effort. Waiting for the outcome is stressful and delays further planning.
    Any thoughts?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I came across a few similar schools (secondary, in my case, independent as well as state) during the last part of my career (I retired in 2013). In one case I remember waiting a week (& it was for a fixed term maternity cover). I always reckoned that if a school was so poor in the way it treated people before they started work, they'd be absolutely awful to work for in the longer term, so failing to get the job was probably a lucky escape!

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Count them both as lucky ecapes. Clearly they don't think teachers are worthy of such courtesies and that's likely to be evident in how they treat their staff.

4. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

This has been happening for at least the decade and a half that I've been teaching.
    But what I have learned is that those schools which don't show the basic courtesy of a yes or no are usually the schools that don't really value their staff.
    One school I spent a whole day at invited us to call if we didn't hear anything by 6pm. I called. I called 4 times the next day, then I called twice a day for the next 3 days (just to be bl**dy minded of course). Each time there was no-one available to take my call. I met the person who got the job several months later when they were doing supply in my school. They handed their notice in a month after they started because the place was (in their words) "a hell hole".
    If a school doesn't show me the courtesy of letting me know how I fared after interview, I just cross them off my list of schools I want to work at and move on.

5. aypi

aypi Established commenter

The one they offered the job to may be thinking about it for some reason, waiting for a reference or something like that. so you could still be in with a chance.
    Or they could have no manners.

6. FrankWolley

If that is the case, they need to keep the other candidates informed as to when a decision is likely to be made.

NB We are often told (at least I read it often enough) that a school's most important asset was its staff...So if it treats potential staff like this, 'keep away' would be my advise!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think letting people know by email is just so called progress. For old fogeys like me, it can seem rude, but I think it is just the modern way. I have heard (but who knows if it is true) that some heads use text messaging to inform unsuccessful candidates. That's a step too far in my opinion, but again it is probably the way of things these days.

No contact at all is poor form, but understandable, for applications which have been unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage. But after an interview is unacceptable. Definitely be peeved about this one.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I agree. I always phoned all candidates by the end of the day of the interview. I hated the phone calls to the unsuccessful candidates and some always took it better than others.

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Still no reason to not keep the OP informed.

jlishman2158 and pepper5 like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Sending an email or a text is a cop-out to avoid an uncomfortable phone call. Tbh I'd prefer to find out I'd been unsuccessful that way.

I don't know why it's called common courtesy. It's as rare as hens' teeth.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Aquamarina1234 is right. Me? I'd prefer email.

Perhaps we should be asked at interview which we'd prefer.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I did an interview in a school last October, was told they'd let me know by the end of the week (It was Tuesday).. still waiting! LOL

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You're a staunch one @blazer and no mistake. I'm sure you're in work at the moment though so I'm not going to commiserate much. But honestly. End of the week. Pah.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  14. FrankWolley

I had a colleague who was asked to teach a lesson at a local independent school, and was told the interview would follow later, and he'd be contacted. He taught the lesson and never heard anything more. As he pointed out, this could be a good way to cover an absence in a shortage subject! (He was a Physics teacher).

15. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

I remember having interviewed, I drove home feeling rather pessimistic only to receive a call from the Head within 15 minutes,
    "Hi *name*, I just want to confirm you've completed your drive and are home safe? ... OK great, we'd like to offer you the job." (Paraphrased of course).

Turns out I had been on speakerphone so the whole of SLT could hear me verbally agree to a contract!

Luckily, I was very happy there in the long run.

I must admit though, I've never been left out in the cold for more than 48 hours. I've either received a yes or no rather quickly.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think in any occupation, ignoring candidates is the height of rudeness, although not unusual. I’d not be keen on working in a school that took a long time to respond following the interview.

I suppose it’s possible that the chosen candidate is deliberating, so no final decision has been made, but then, if they did get in contact, you’d know that you weren’t first choice. I would prefer a phone call if successful and an email if not, but I would like it promptly.

Probably better than the days when all the interviewees were corralled in a room until a decision was made andthe chosen one siphoned off to be congratulated, whilst the rest skunk out to their cars to go home with their tales between their legs.

agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  17. brownc31

brownc31 New commenter

Schools are mostly (failing) businesses nowadays and so empathy and politeness are not valued traits.

You need the backstabbing and ruthless nature of the candidates of The Apprentice to succeed now.

Orchid2457, a1976, DIPS1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why do you think contacting you by email to let you know the outcome is discourteous? What generation are you?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

To be fair, they could have just posted the outcome on Facebook :D

20. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Isn't it reasonable to expect some feedback given that the candidate spent a whole day at the school as well as a considerable time preparing a lesson for interview and writing the job application?