1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Common colds

Discussion in 'Personal' started by l0vaduck, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I've got a stinker of a cold - the really snotty, sneezy kind. I'm not at work because I don't want to share it, as well as feeling absolutely grotty. Somehow I get the impression that staying off with a cold is seen as not the done thing, but then I wouldn't wish how I feel on anyone.
    I'm glad I'm on strike tomorrow, because the longer it goes on, the worse I feel about staying off with such a minor ailment.
    What about everyone else - would you stay off with a cold, or soldier on?

2. I've got a stinker of a cold - the really snotty, sneezy kind. I'm not at work because I don't want to share it, as well as feeling absolutely grotty. Somehow I get the impression that staying off with a cold is seen as not the done thing, but then I wouldn't wish how I feel on anyone.
    I'm glad I'm on strike tomorrow, because the longer it goes on, the worse I feel about staying off with such a minor ailment.
    What about everyone else - would you stay off with a cold, or soldier on?

3. If i felt too rough I would stop at home and annoy my family and try not to spread the virus to all and sundry....but ( we all know) when a bloke gets a cold it's called Manflu therefore we have to go to bed and cause havoc... I am not one to dispell myths :¬))

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

If it is one of those awful head-poundy, snotty, sneezy ones stay at home. You can't work like that and no-one else wants to catch it either. The minor sniffly ones are ok to work through IMHO but a lot depends on what you have to do in your day eg if your throat is very bad then teaching is v difficult without jeopardising your voice long term. Also access to hot drinks is vital and in some jobs that isn't even possible.