1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Common Browsers & Resolutions.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jweb2k, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Same.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

How did "widescreen" monitors become so popular? Aren't more documents taller than they are wide? To me, "wide" is a euphemism for "short", meaning endless scrolling up and down.
    I'm guessing this question has something to do with web-pages, as you're asking about browsers. As someone who maintains both our service web-site and a site of my own, I found the change from IE8 to IE9 to be the most tricky to accomodate so far. It used to be that it was Opera or Firefox caused most problems, but now, IE9 and current and previous versions of Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome all behave pretty consistently - and then you find that your site doesn't work in IE8.

3. It's Javascript stuff so I'm hitting a much smaller target. Thanks to everyone who replied :)

4. I believe 900 > 768
    and that 16:9 is scientifically proven to be more pleasing to the eye...
    No resolutions but http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/07/june-browser-stats-rapid-release-edition.ars
    breaks down world wide brower share monthly in pretty graphics...

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I know it is. ;-)
    I believe that 16:9 was adopted for television because it's the same shape as the visual field. However, people don't need to scroll through web-pages or edit A4 documents on a television. Traditionally, PC monitors have been 4:3 (mine is 1280 x 960), which I think is better suited to most computer applications.

6. I prefer 16:9 with a swivel function. Best of both worlds.

7. agreed, 16:9 either way allows the golden ratio and even wide makes design for 4:3 easier, otherwise where are your panels going?