1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Commercial Company is there protection/ Can I join a union

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by disilusioned, May 24, 2011.

  1. I work for a commercial company and have a greivence is there a union or advise organisation that I can contact
  2. phlogiston

    phlogiston Star commenter

    Possibly a bit late - but some may support you.
    CAB may be able to help out. Some firms of solicitors will give a free half hour of advice. As far as unions go, try and find a union that covers your sector of work and ring and e-mail to see what response they give you. Bit difficult to advise.
  3. Thankyou, I have spoke to CAB but they say I am between a rock and a hard place I feel that I have been forced into taking action or back down which makes me look in the wrong The other person has a 'witness' to back up their story. I am looking for help working my way through the mine field when the wagons are circling and I'm on the wrong side! to prepare my case as they have been working on theirs for some time.It makes you wonder why someone wold need to worry about covering their back even before there was anything to prepare for.
    But the dustman offered me a job on the recycle truck this morning it's hard work, regular hours, honest and you don't have to take it home. There's always a brightside.
  4. Refuse removal for council contracts is a sought - after manual job, as it seldom involves late working and you finish when your daily allocation is complete. Very unlike teaching.
    It is your legal right in the UK to join a union, despite the very successful attempts by the political right to outlaw them. The problem is your workplace might not recognise them, so admittance to meetings etc is not a given.
    At this stage you are as the CAB rep described. Yoiu could try a no-win, no-fee law firm. And you could look at that bin job seriously.

Share This Page