1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comments on new look for website

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by BrightonEarly, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Perhaps you guys might have a moment to look at this now the holidays are finally here? Though I must admit, I've done 3 days solid school work so far in an effort to clear all of the preparation work needed for September.
    I hope to go live with the changes very soon now.

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

Just had a peek and it looks fantastic - really smart and easy to navigate and I like very much how you've grouped the topics - thanks for sharing!

3. BrightonEarly

Thank you for your comment. Have you used the original interface?

4. BrightonEarly

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Very nice. I did wonder if the font is right for your audience? I would have gone for an alternative to what looks like Times New Roman.
    People mock Comic Sans, but I believe it is good for dyslexics. I like Arial, Verdana and Tahoma myself.
    I was using Verdana a lot on frenchteacher.net, but have recently reverted tio Arial.

6. BrightonEarly

This is the default font on Dreamweaver, so I just went with that. Is there any evidence of Comic Sans or another font being clearer for dyslexics?

7. People mock Comic Sans, but I believe it is good for dyslexics. I like Arial, Verdana and Tahoma myself.[​IMG]

8. Here is the advice from the British Dyslexia Assoc.
    "Use a plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet.
    Font size should be 12-14 point. Some dyslexic readers may request a larger font.
    Use dark coloured text on a light (not white) background.
    Avoid green and red/pink as these are difficult for colour blind individuals."
    Personally I am amongst those who would like to put the "sans" into Comic Sans - too primary school really if nothing else - but I guess it passes muster on at least the accessibility front. Interesting that Microsoft has gone back to Arial.

9. BrightonEarly

I think I've misled you Ferryman, I'm not sure if Microsoft has gone back to Arial or not, I just meant that the font I have used on my website is the default font. I think it looks like Times New Roman, but I'm not sure.
    At least I've avoided colours which would make using the site difficult for colour blind people. Would you say the blue background is light enough for dyslexic users?

10. The point about Arial was "plus ca change...". Arial was one of the first sans serif fonts for the Internet generation. It spawned quite a few others as already mentioned - and eg Calibri seems to be a popular current wannabee - but none seems to do the job quite as well. As for the intricate details, I am no expert so would you refer you to BDA as stated and much is probably a question of aesthetics anyway.

11. BrightonEarly

These pages are now live on my website, thanks for your comments and also to those who sent comments via the TES inbox.