1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comments in the 'News' section?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jeremyinspain, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

There seems to be no opportunity to 'comment' any more on 'News' items on the site...
    Is this so?
    Any reason why?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I think it went the way of opinion. Never visited it when it was there.

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @Jeremyinspain

I've answered your question in the Welcome lounge forum, but for those who haven't seen it I thought I should post the response here as well:

We are working on bringing the comment facility back in the news section.

All I can say for now is please keep watching the news section.

4. Jeremyinspain

Thanks Rosaline,
    Sorry I missed your earlier answer. Good news that comments are returning!
    JJD

5. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @Jeremyinspain

I'm glad that you enjoyed this feature. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to start a discussion if you want to talk about a story that has appeared in the news section.

6. Jeremyinspain

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The news stories never got many comments at the best of times. Yet frequently a poster would start a discussion using a hyperlink to the story. Is this not a comment on the story? There needs to be a retro link at the bottom of the story which takes readers of the story to the precise discussions on the forum which have used the story as their starting point.
    You would need a different style of hyperlink however in the discussion set up ribbon. A contra flow link button would enable not just discussion readers to jump to the TES story, but TES story readers to jump to the discussion.
    Wilshaw's report yesterday would be a good example. Several discussions ensued and all could be pointing to the same TES story which could have carried links to the several discussions.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is it not possible to just have every 'news' story on TES posted on this forum and have the comments for the story, be the comments that appear here?

9. TES_Rosaline

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments, suggestions and feedback, which I will pass on.

We are working on some of the suggestions that you have made.

All I can say is please refer to my last comment in post #3.

10. Jeremyinspain

11. TES_Rosaline

Hello @Jeremyinspain,

Please be assured that we are currently working on bringing the comment facility back to news stories.

In the meantime, I have been starting threads about news stories in this forum and adding the relevant thread links to the bottom of the news stories. For example:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...open-letter-government-standards-expected-are

upload_2016-2-25_10-36-21.png

Forum members are welcome to do the same and I will add those thread links, which feature the TES stories, to the articles.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

I'll update you as soon as I can with more information about the comment facility as soon as I have it.

12. TES_Rosaline

Hello @Jeremyinspain,

I'm pleased to tell you that the comment facility is available on news stories but you have to be logged in to TES Connect to see the 'Add comment' box at the bottom of an article:

upload_2016-2-25_10-51-58.png

This facility is a work in progress so please leave your feedback about the facility on this thread.

Thank you.

13. Jeremyinspain

OK, thanks. I'll give it a go...

14. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @Jeremyinspain. Please do and let us know what you think.