1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comments in reading records

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Suggsi, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Suggsi

Suggsi New commenter

I have been asked to produce a bank of reading comments that we can use as a school for reading records that go home to parents.

I was just wondering if anyone already had a bank of comments to save me time in writing them all out?
    I assume school wants things like -
    Remember to pause at full stops.
    Work on the ___ sound in your reading
    I am looking from a KS2 point of view

Any help gratefully recieved

Suggsi xx

2. Is this really what teaching has come to? Teachers can't even write relevent comments for individual children without being told what to write.
    Even if I had such a list - i wouldn't use it! Sounds quite insulting.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was wondering about the logic of this...so hope my school doesn't go down this route.

How about:

Relax and enjoy your book?

Or

Sod reading yourself tonight, get a parent to read to you.

Or

Forget the books today, just chill out and play a board game with your family.

Why are teachers writing comments/instructions in reading diaries anyway?

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Agree with all the above!

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

he he! Please don't put that! Not when we're trying to get tea on the table! (Feed the baby, deal with cat sick, hang out the washing coz the bed was wet, etc, etc, etc - you get the picture![​IMG])
    That would be great!
    How about - lovely reading? Or well done? Or don't forget to sound out words you don't know? I'm sure you can think of something. Go on, you know you can[​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL You can tell I don't have children can't you...Actually you describe pretty well why not!

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ach, no, it's lovely! It's not like that all the time... just a lot of the time when they're little...[​IMG]Goodness only knows what I'll do when the afterschoolclubrollercoaster kicks in!

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Whoever has saddled you with this pointless task has clearly got their knickers in a twist about Ofsted's focus on reading.
    I find the very idea of a 'bank' of comments utterly pathetic and a leetle bit sad. What a total waste of your time.

9. Did you ever find a bank of comments? I would find this very useful - firstly for me, new to KS1 and less experienced with listening to readers, and also for my TA and parent helpers to get them started.
    Would really appreciate some info if you've got this :)