1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comments from people about leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by minceandquince, Sep 9, 2018.

1. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

I have worked in education for almost 9 years now, knowing the whole time I wasn't right for it but trying to make myself fit into roles that were so against the nature of my personality. At the time I felt that I needed to push myself out of my comfort zone, but I pushed myself way too far, for too long.

I work in a support role now, which is less pressure than a teacher/tutor role but I am quite certain I want to leave education completely. I am taking steps to achieve this and actually completed a part time floristry course this year with a rather successful result. Ideally I would like to be self employed.

However, whenever I speak to family and friends about my future plans they glaze over and don't quite believe/understand that I want to leave education. They seem to think I am chasing pipe dreams and should stay in education as it is better money and security (which we all know is not always true).

This attitude puts a downer on me and makes me feel stuck in my position. A career change is not often easy but is easier with the support of others, which I don't feel like I have.

Anyone else experienced such comments?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No, I never planned to move and always thought I was in the right job for me - even when other people began to doubt it. But I say good luck to you. If this is what you fancy doing and can make a go of it then I think that's marvellous. On Cookery @BelleDuJour often talks about her cake making and decorating business that also extends into party planning by the sound of it. Why not pm her and chat about getting started. She still teaches part time ( secondary) I believe and seems to combine the two well. You might be able to combine supply work with your own business. I think it sounds really exciting.:D:D

Piranha likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would say you should believe in yourself. Many people are not capable of taking a risk like the one you are thinking of, so cannot understand why anybody would do it. You are not going to convince them that it is a good idea, so there is no point in trying, but don't let them put you off. If you think you can make a go of it, then try it. Perhaps the idea of starting by teaching part time and running your business part time, as suggested by @lindenlea, might be a good start.

When you have a thriving business, you will find that the sceptics always thought you could do it!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

Send them teacher suicide rates compared to the national average if they're still struggling to figure out exactly what a terrible job this is.

You go be a florist - personally, I am excited for you and think you're making a wonderful step!

5. vincewells

vincewells New commenter

Your situation sounds very like where I was 5 years ago. I actually didn’t mind the long hours and hard graft, but I found that however hard I tried, I just couldn’t get the job to fit me (being quite shy, I found the constant interaction with people tough). I gave it a go and like you did 9 years, including 5 as a head of year in an inner city comp, one as HOD and a year in a lovely private school (which I might have stayed in if it hadn’t been a mat leave). You probably won’t find much from teachers who have left on tes, as once you’re out you tend to get caught up in your new life and leave things like forums behind but as we know, there are thousands who have left the profession and made it work so it certainly isn’t impossible, but it is tough. There are a few things to accept before hand. 1) just because you’ve been a teacher doesn’t mean you’re going to walk in to a highly skilled or highly paid job (I know lots of people think teaching is the hardest and most demanding job in the world but you wouldn’t expect someone to come in to teaching from another industry and immediately be great at it and that works both ways. 2) you’ll most likely have to take a pay cut (mine was 15k, which I still find difficult to write, but it was worth it to not feel like I was wasting my life in the wrong career). 3) you’ve spent 9 years doing something you weren’t suited for and still made a real go of it, so you have resilience in spades, a strong work ethic and probably loads of transferable skills, so imagine how good you could be at something you were suited to! I would say before you jump have a clear plan. Look at what you can feasibly survive on money wise. Get some experience (any experience, volunteer at a florists, find a friend who runs their own business and quiz them etc). Find out what training you will need and how to get it. As with anything in life, you control your results, so if you want to do it enough you can make it work. Good luck

agathamorse likes this.
  6. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

A sound bite yes, but life is too short. Go be a florist! Good luck!

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

There is something to be said for adding skill/artistic subjects to your life so that, should you decide to leave teaching, you have other things to fall back on. You have done the right thing. For myself I have secretarial skills which help me to this very moment in time. It was the best thing I did to learn these.