1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

commas help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clawthorpegirl, Jan 2, 2012.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Feeling rather daft that I need to check this but you know when the more you look at something the less sure you become!
    Which sentence is correct?
    The naughty sneaky girl ate all the porridge.
    The naughty, sneaky girl ate all the porridge.
    Thanks in advance.

2. The second one.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I agree, the second, although many writers and teachers would say either is acceptable, and I'm not inclined to disagree.
    I say the comma is useful because it separates two things which are not directly connected; they are equal adjectives and could be in either position.

4. I think that the first sentence is more grammatically accurate. My understanding is that in this sentence you need an extra adjective describing the girl before you would insert any commas.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The naughty sneaky girl ate all the porridge.
    The naughty, sneaky girl ate all the porridge.
    It is conventional to use a comma as in the second.
    If the first word after "the" were modifying the second, then the grammar would be different and so would the punctuation.
    "The great big girl ate all the porridge." ("great" is adverbial here.) That's why we do have the comma between two adjectives - so that it doesn't look like adverb and adjective. But it's no big deal in my opinion.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

You do need the comma after naughty.

7. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I was planning on using second sentence and will definately do so now. Feel a bit better about asking now as seems there isn't a clear cut answer!