1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming Up For Air.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Orwell's George Bowling set off down memory lane but I'm talking about something a bit more radical -at least until the sun goes down.

Have you ever thrown it all up at a whim and cleared off alone? I've been doing it all my life in various guises. As a child I regularly played truant. I ran away from home several times and I ran away from some of the institutions the government put me in.

In my late teens I remember going off alone hitch hiking with no desire to return to the humdrum of work and home. I usually went home after a day away.

I still do it now but the adventure has changed. Now it's just not bothering to go to work and getting the garden done.

I'm quite fortunate that I can walk out on everything because there's no one to let down. I used to just say "sod it" and clear off for a day in Cambridge alone. Sometimes I'd drive out into the Fens and wander around out to Cromer or Wells.

I've not yet really done the whole 'Agatha' thing and disappeared totally for days on end. It's not just a wish for a day away or as drastic as wanting to end my life but it's something about just getting away from the routine. I'm not talking about taking a holiday or having a day out. I mean walking out on everything and starting again and never going back.

I doubt I'll ever really do the full disappearing act but I still toy with the idea of just clearing off from all the responsibility of the daily grind.

So, have any of you ever just left everything and gone to start a new life alone?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've always been quite adventurous. I sometimes get bored of myself. But there's just no easy way to get away from yourself. I have upped sticks before, and moved to another country, but it didn't last long as i couldn't find long term work and i was living in an arab ghetto as a single female on the outskirts of a big town. It was safe enough on a physical level, but I came back to this country, to a different city, and started over again.

If my routines start to bore me, i change them in small ways . . . I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This thread is now on the list of Most Popular Threads Today :D
    Must be a very slow news day in TESland

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Pack up what you need to go away in this manner, and on departure post your front door keys plus any spares you have to the address which you are leaving.
    If a few days later you have an irresistible urge to retrieve the post which you know will arrive for you, then you'll know it was the wrong decision and you can justify the expense of busting the door to get back in.
    It's always nice to come home to some post.

kibosh likes this.
  5. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I did once, for just a few hours. Wasn't in a good place. My daughter rang and rang and rang. I terrified my kids. Never again.

kibosh likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have packed up and moved to another part of the country and started a new life 4 times. The first time I was 18 and had dropped out of teacher training college and didn't have much baggage (literally). The last time I had my 7 year old child with me and did it in a more managed way with a house and a job to go to. I didn't know a soul in the area but I've been here 30 years and think I'm here to stay.

kibosh likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nope. I just keep bug gering on.

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You're still here, then?:D

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes. As opposed to bug gering off.

RepelloInimicum likes this.
  10. frangipani123