1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming to terms with ageing?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by jacob, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Are you all au fait and ok with the ageing process? Looking at what my mother is going through at 87, and two colleagues have ancient parents in worse conditions (actually going to die soon) I wonder if you are. I want to retire, because my ancient mother needs a bit more attention (no dementia), and because I have had enough of teaching. Now I am getting a knee problem to add to the fun, though it is only annoying as yet.

Retirement used to be, probably up to the 70s perhaps, just a few years before something would get you, be it heart, cancer, respiratory problems, or whatever. Now some of us may spend more years "in retirement" than we did in working. Demographics are too general to predict longevity. In fact how long you might live is still subject mainly to chance. Do any of you (that have been retired a while) notice a deterioration in mobility, health and so on as you get to 60, 65, 70?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I have had/have booked 6 overseas holidays this year... [​IMG]

We may all get old & decrepit in time, but that's no reason not to make the nest of our retirement whilst we can!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Weight is the same and fitness pretty good. In NW i used to climb steep hills like a gazelle (!) but now our walking tends to be fairly flat and I puff a bit on a steep one. Can't drink as much as I could without falling over / asleep. I've really slowed down but it's all relative. When working, my life was crazy. Social life is better than almost ever and i have noticed my friends are all looking older, is there a hint there. I'm increasingly wrinkly but I don't care much. My parents were pretty good until they hit 80 and then the illnesses/ conditions crept in . Their 90s were cut short with a rapid decline. Like FolkFan I'm making the nest of it and know exactly what comes next so I'm not rushing to get there.

4. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

I think teachers tend to live longer than most maybe because of our more enlightened lifestyles. I'm hoping I've got 30 years left in me. At a recent health MOT I was told I had elite aerobic fitness (for my age!)

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to go to the gym a lot and noticed things starting to go a bit in my 50s. I am still fairly fit, though, probably more than most people my age. I am aware that I am much more than half way through my life, how far nobody can tell although my Dad is 90 and doing quite well despite various replacement bits. This awareness makes me determined to use the time I have left as much as I can - I should get away from the computer and do something!

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

There is nothing you can do about the ageing process, so why waste increasingly precious moments worrying about it?

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Don't worry about old age- it doesn't last long.

8. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

You can`t do a lot about genetics,my dad died at 74 , after a massive stroke at 70 and 4 years of hell for him and my mum, but his sisters have both reached 94 and 96 respectively,on my mum`s side I have an aunt of 94 and and uncle of 92 but younger uncles died in their 70s. Dad was a smoker, as was one of my uncles. Stress is a killer, so getting out of teaching must be good for you. I an trying to eat well and exercise but tend to have slowed down since I retired last year. I walk the dog but do a lot of sitting down, crafting at various clubs and teaching crafting. I intend to enjoy as much of life as I can despite my creaky knees and a funny back ( Arthritis runs ,or rather means we do not run ,in my family !) A positive attitude and an active brain seem to be the best way forward.Enjoy every minute ,no one knows what lies in wait around the next corner ,so enjoy everything while you can,.

Does n`t matter if that involves frequent holidays abroad, looking after grand children, taking up a new hobby, or doing a crossword, just do what makes you happy . Apply lots of TLC to yourself ,as well as to others.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My neighbour retired 10 weeks ago. Fell and banged his head on that very day and has been semi comotose ever since. His wife has been told to expect him eventually to go home severely disabled.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My Dad died at 79 and smoked until he went into a nursing home. My mother is 82, and although she claims to have given up smoking 'years ago', a cautious sniff within ten yards of her says otherwise. I was never a serious smoker and I stopped when I was at Uni.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

No chance of coming to terms with it! I'm going the other way! My gene pool isn't good, what with dad going at 63 and mum at 73, but I've no intention of slowing down or acting my age.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Good for you.

My dad died at 54 in 1979, my mother still "enjoys bad health" at 87.

Why does everything ache in the morning when I try to get out of bed? Where can I get a Wallace and Gromit bed that dumps you in your wellies via clothes at the breakfast table ready for the day (or at least the coffee and pills)?

(PS I don't wear wellies)

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am afraid jacob we all suffer in one way or another.or more.

We have a choice to either stop and spend a long time considering and then find we cant move,or be busy trying to enjoy life the best we can.

The frustration is not having the were withal to do what we want to do.It may be physical or monetary.. I could do a lot if i had certain conditions or even a good wealth but in the end we have to make do with what we do have.

My father died at 91 my mother at 77 so i am hoping i have a few years left yet..but aware wit age many things can happen.I just want to enjoy life before they do.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You say that, but won't necessarily be the case for you.

My maternal grandmother died in her late 50s and grandfather in his early 60s, yet their 3 children all survived till their late 80s! Iin fact my mother is still here at 87 (well sort of physically existing at least, as she is in the very last stage of dementia).

On the paternal side they had better 'genes' and died later, yet father 'dropped dead' quite suddenly one morning at 74.

15. Peter9999

Peter9999 New commenter

I was told by my doctor after a medical that if he arranged 100 of his patients in a line in order of fitness I'd be number 1. Unfortunately, I live in North East England so it's not as good as it sounds.

16. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

Being retired now for 8 years, I thought this forum might respond to my conversations in Personal and Education News concerning my re-reading of "Emile". Those fora do not appear to be very responsive, for whatever reason.

I chose this conversation since all the others above are about retirement, fair enough, but I am looking for engaging responses to my other posts. In retirement, I do not necessarily think that I should abandon my interest in education. Sanders in the USA does not appear to be abandoning his interest in politics, at the age of 74! I guess we could also cite Winston Churchill.

In keeping with the posts above, my personal circumstances are not 100% healthy. At the moment I am wheel-chair bound (hopefully temporally), I have a pending hospital appointment to consider a skin graft on my ankle at 73 years old, and would therefore hope and pray that I do have a few more years of active (comparatively speaking) life.

I watch the TV with my wife, we enjoy our food and drink (even wine and occasional brandy!), sleep together, and at the moment only pay a gardener once per month to keep the garden tidy. We rarely get out at the moment, but hopefully that will change. We do not attend church (we have reservations concerning all established religions), we pray and read the Bible together, we are quite interested in the home church movement (there's lots on the Internet), but nothing in RL, apart from some rather cultish local meetings!

Sharing a brandy with my wife is keeping me going with this post! I hope some of you here respond, so I will cut this short with the question I have left in Personal.

Do any of you here claim to have read a single book, cover to cover, which strongly influenced your teaching? Personally, in Personal (!), I have cited two: Rousseau's "Emile" and "Against Method" by Paul Feyerabend. Neitsche cited "The World as Will and Representation" by Schopenhauer.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I retired St one point through ill health and hated it. At nearly 60 I work full time, am self employed and chair a charity. No plans to stop any time soon but bits and pieces of me don't work as well as they did physically.

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

One thing I am enjoying pre-retirement (next year) is winding up the management by pointing out how stupid their paper chasing exercises are. It really is jolly fun.

ScotSEN, lizziescat and FolkFan like this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree with all the advice to try to make the most of things for as long as possible. I took retirement in the summer just over a year early (59 next week) and I can honestly say that life is as good as it ever has been, and I still feel pretty well. I joined a local running club to try to get a bit fitter, and I have been amazed and inspired by the people 10 or more years older than me who can run faster for longer. I hoppe that will be me in 10 years time! I have booked an advanced skiing course next year, am taking piano lessons and have signed up to do mentoring with the UK Maths Trust. I hope that keeping lfe interesting will help me keep going for longer but, in any case, I want to say active for as long as nature allows me.

ilovesooty, Compassman and lindenlea like this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Go you ! :):):)