1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming out re the Foundation Stage Profile

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Our 2 Reception Class teachers have filled in profiles this term, classes are of broadly similar abilities, profile scores were at opposite ends of the spectrum! If there can be such a difference in opinions in one school, then what are the differences nationally?!!!
    We have had internal moderation meetings regularly, LA moderation was a waste of time, basically no discussion at all! Many hours have been wasted this year so far, but never again!!

2. Nelly FUF why on earth would you be responsible for 70 children ?!?!? Class max is 30 and I have completed 29 this year. No-one would be doing 70 on their own !!

3. JAMINJAR - why on earth didn't these techers speak during the assessment process ?!?! In the same school, but didn't even converse regarding the achievement of different points ?!?! I think that's the problem !! I work on my own, and would love to be working alongside another Reception teacher in the same school, to compare ideas. Oh dear !!

4. That's the whoe point, there was internal moderation, but obwiously not on all 117 points! There was still subjetivity on other points.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

161 | Posted by: NQTClare at 24 Mar 2007 23:16
    Nelly FUF why on earth would you be responsible for 70 children ?!?!? Class max is 30 and I have completed 29 this year. No-one would be doing 70 on their own !

There are currently 82 children in our unit with 2 teachers NOT 70 each I know but not 30 either.

Jaminajar some years ago I worked with a teacher who literally ticked off everything on the then baseline assessment (things I knew her class couldn't do and which I hadn't ticked for my class) but she believed it reflected on her as a teacher if they couldn't do everything so was very 'generous' this made the KS1 staffs job extremely difficult. I think while statements are open to subjectivity there will always be such difficulties.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

not singly responsible for 70 this year.

But you are thinking only of the FSP eprofile I call it with 117 points on it.

I am thinking of the 73 goals with the stepping stones added in for assessment which precedes and interlinks with the FSP. Especially points 1,2,3,.... and as such have to be responsible for the moderation of assessments for 70 plus children.....

If you just have to concern yourself with the FSP then you are lucky. It is the use of the stepping stones as a system for assessment that we are campaigning about. The curriculum is being abused in the interests of whole school tracking, target setting and so on.....

I have a really big pile of paper work here.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

8. I work with 13 kids in my tutor group. Am responsible for their fs profiles, eprofiles, records, learning journeys and IEPs if needed. I am a TA on a rubbish wage!

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Good point Carol

10. I get PPA so does my teacher so thats 2 afternoons when my class is down an adult. On a Wednesday morning we go out and about, ok I know they get loads out of this but you still try getting hand writing, numeracy,reading, SEAL. phonic program, PE, and assessments in the week....once I used to actually sit and play with the kids. I know they learn through play but I dont seem to have the time now...

11. carol69 - these are the points that would provide support for the EY petition if they were recorded on the blog.

Any chance of you making your comments there please?

12. can you link me please....comes of being with 4 and 5 year olds all day......

13. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Go to the thread further down titled TES bog is up and running etc, and click the link in the first post there....

14. sadika

sadika New commenter

Off to our moderating meeting next week - this year KandUW and PSE. DEEP joy!!!!

15. Hi Sadika! A fellow traveller I feel! Will you actually be taking any 'evidence'? I also am really looking forward to my meeting and am saying (in my head!) that I will not spend the weekend 'finding' some evidence but will actually say how ridiculous the whole thing is and that I have better ways to spend my time- ask me about the 3 children involved and I can tell you all you need to know but I can't prove it!! You will just have to believe me- I'M A PROFESSIONAL!!! What are you going to do?

16. I feel heartened that others are challenging the necessity for being policed and moderated.

Some thing will come of this but the more people who openly question/complain/non-comply with the prevailing climate, regime and ethos - the more likely it is that others will have to take notice.

I can assure you that already significant people are taking notice and significant 'others' are doing their best to swat the various issues raised aside.

Please continue to question.

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have it in writing from Alan Johnson (is that his name?)

Nothing that is not normal classroom practice is required.

18. sadika

sadika New commenter

I've just been reading the blurb about what I need to bring. The following statement is in it twice:

"If you do not bring your evidence to share at the meeting you will not be able to participate in the moderation process and will have to attend another meeting or receive a visit."

19. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Best go and forget your evidence then. Let us know what happens.

At first meeting I went to , some poor soul showed her profiles and go it in the neck for having a few worksheets in them, they were actually beautiful and had taken her ages, she ended up in tears. They make us weep don't they?