1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming out re the Foundation Stage Profile

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Feb 27, 2007.

1. I have only just come across this thread by chance as I'm at home due to illness this week. (you can take the teacher out of the school but.........!) I applaud each and every post and felt quite reassured by the comments on the profile etc. However, once I got to the posts from June 2007 and started reading about "scrapbooks" my heart sank.....was this the initial emergence of the Learning Journals that have been criticised and bemoaned by other posters on here ad infinitum?

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Debbie
    I am sorry I cannot wade through this long thread, so I might be asking something that is already made clear on here.
    I would really like to know if it really matters if your profiles fail the moderation process set by the Local Authority early years advisers?
    What is the downside to just filling in the profiles as you think fit at the end of the year without resorting to all the evidence?
    As a parent who knows my child well, I have read the profile descriptors and the accompanying guidance which gives exemplars of each point, and at any point in time I could decide on the appropriate points for a child of mine - and it would take me about 5 mins in total.
    But if I had to write down appropriate examples which fulfilled these points it would take me several hours, and this is for my own child who I know far better than any early years teacher ever could (sorry to those of you on here who will think that a parent could not possibly do this if they were not trained in the early years etc etc).
    I personally think that the profile itself (the thing with 13 headings and 9 scale points under each one) is quite easy to use, clearly still subjective, but handy in some kind of way for describing a child, is OK. But it's all this paraphernalia of the dreaded post-its and and 80/20 rules that make it so burdensome.
    Do nursery and reception class workers just feel morally obliged to "pass" this moderation process or does it have some real teeth ? If not, why don't teachers just ignore it and use the profile in a way that they find useful within their school? I certainly would.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I've never seen this thread before, and it could be that it pre-dates me working in EYFS. I'll put my hand up to a bit of "sh1t stirring" regarding moderation. Our LA has for the first time this year let us know their criteria for moderation and they will be judging on a scale sound/variable/unsound and also making a judgement about how we do assessment which I understand to be outside their remit. My HT is very supportive. So moderation in a couple of months will be interesting! The criteria for assessment to be judged as "robust" is ... "Teachers are confident about managing the profile and can articulate their professional knowledge of the children. A wide range of significant evidence is collected, covering all areas of learning for every child and is predominantly gathered from child initiated learning. This evidence is used to make judgements. Effective systems of CPD, are in place to ensure high quality observation from all adults working with the children. CPD could include observation and data training, in school or LA provision. A robust programme of internal moderation is in place. A keyworker system may be in place. Teachers participate in cluster group moderations, point 9 workshops and disseminate their good practice with other settings. Children and parents are actively encouraged to share in, and contribute to the Learning Journeys. Smooth transitions are valued with data analysed to plan next steps for learning for Year one. The Headteacher and Governors have an overview of the assessment systems within the Foundation Stage. The majority of the above must be in place to be considered best practice." I'm not a happy bunny.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm glad I don't work where you work, Leapyearbaby64, my LA doesn't require Learning Journeys although I think some people do them.

5. mystery10

Since when could local authorities require anything of schools? They lost most of their real power over schools many years ago. Schools have to comply with the law.
    Is there a piece of legislation which sets out that a school has to pass an LA devised moderation process at the end of the foundation stage? Is some budget at stake if the school fails?
    Does anyone on here know what happens if you fail the LA moderation process? Does it really matter?
    It sounds to me as though all these moderation process have one fatal flaw. This is that they are paper-based exercises not involving the children.
    There are a few (slightly dodgy) ways teachers might pass the paper-based moderation exercise with flying colours.
    One method would be by never really trying to find out about any of the higher level skills of the child. All you need do is write down what a child says and does several times in lots of child initiated situations in the class, and identify which points on which scales they best fit. Then you have sufficient evidence for the points you award to each child. The points you award will of course be lower than what the child is really capable of, but you will have all your nice written evidence cross-referenced to the appropriate scale points.
    Because the moderators don't moderate the children they will just see that the scores fit the evidence, not that the score does not fit the child.
    Then at the end of Year R you could write a more up to date report and set of scale points to pass on the Year 1 teacher.
    After all, even if you had done the job perfectly and the scale points did accurately represent the child, and you had all the perfect evidence as required by the moderation process, it would all be out of date by the end of year R and not correct for the year 1 teacher anyhow. LAs are requiring you to submit the info early to allow for their lenghty moderation processes, so this is already reducing the accuracy of the info you supply to the Year 1 teacher unless you update your profiles between submission date and the end of term.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

They still have the power to close schools ...

7. mystery10

Kind of, but certainly not for this reason, and it is certainly not an unfettered power!!

8. Msz

The law says

Local authorities

Local authorities have a duty to exercise their functions with a view to making sure that
    the EYFS, national curriculum and assessment arrangements are implemented in their
    schools. They must ensure schools and other EYFS providers understand and follow the
    requirements set out in the ARA.

Local authorities should:
    offer schools and other EYFS providers training and advice on all aspects of
    assessment at EYFS and key stage 1
    ensure moderation of the EYFS profile and key stage 1 assessments is carried out
    as specified in the ARA and the relevant Moderation requirements booklet
    ensure schools have an electronic system to submit EYFS profile and
    key stage 1 data
    ensure all other EYFS providers have appropriate means by which to accurately
    record EYFS profile results and submit data to their local authority if requested
    (see the table in section 3.4 for EYFS profile data submission requirements)
    collect EYFS profile data and end of key stage 1 statutory assessment results, quality
    assure and submit data to the Department for Education (DfE) in the required format
    by the due dates (see the table in section 3.4 for EYFS profile data submission
    requirements)
    ensure schools are aware of the need to store key stage 1 task and test
    materials responsibly
    inform the Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency (QCDA) without delay
    of any irregularities in their assessment arrangements.

9. Msz

and
    Headteachers
    Headteachers of maintained schools have a duty to make sure that the national curriculum
    in their school is implemented. Headteachers also have a duty to make sure that the
    assessment arrangements specified in the national curriculum are implemented. This duty
    does not normally apply to hospital schools.
    All headteachers and managers of EYFS provision have a duty to implement the EYFS.
    They must ensure their schools and settings comply with all aspects of the EYFS and key
    stage 1 assessment and reporting arrangements.
    Headteachers should:
    ensure an EYFS profile is completed for all eligible children and <u>data is quality assured</u>
    ensure EYFS profile data is returned to the local authority in accordance with the table
    in section 3.4
    provide parents or persons with parental responsibility1 with information relating to
    their child's attainment against the early learning goals at the end of the EYFS
    take responsibility for the reliability of their EYFS profile outcomes and ensure
    that the data accurately reflects the attainment of the current cohort of children
    ensure teachers and practitioners fully comply with all aspects of the EYFS profile
    and key stage 1 assessment, moderation and reporting arrangements

10. Msz

Practitioners' responsibilities
    In the final term of the EYFS, practitioners must complete a profile summary score, based
    on the 13 assessment scales, for each child. A list of these scales can be found on page 24
    of the Early years foundation stage profile handbook. Profile judgements are made on the
    basis of cumulative observational evidence recorded over the course of the year. Profile
    summaries must be completed no later than Thursday 30 June 2011.

11. mystery10

Thanks Msz. Where did you find that?

At first glance, this seems to focus on LEAs duties, not their powers, and not on the duties of schools.
    How prescriptive is the ARA (what's that?) and the relevant Moderation requirements booklet referred to above - are some LAs interpreting these in a more onerous way than is necessary and beyond the spirit of the legal requirements?
    At the end of the day, I'm guessing that the only knock-on effect for schools if their scores are considered dodgy by the moderators is that unimaginative OFSTED inspectors, if they have no other means of judging "achievement" in reception will perhaps grade the foundation stage of the school lower than they might have done if the profile scores had passed the moderation exercise.
    But I would hope that an intelligent OFSTED inspector, a good headteacher, and the experienced early years staff would be able to work together and demonstrate good progress in reception (if there was good progress) without the necessity for profile scores, successfully moderated or not.
    Anyone else think of any other downside to failing the moderation?

12. Msz

13. Msz

It can actually trigger an early Ofsted visit

14. Msz

What is the ARA?
    The Assessment and reporting arrangements (ARA) contains guidance on the early years
    foundation stage (EYFS) profile and provides statutory information and guidance on the
    key stage 1 national curriculum assessment and reporting arrangements in 2011.
    All those responsible for assessment and reporting in the EYFS and key stage 1 need to
    read these requirements and be aware of any changes from previous years.

1.2 Legal status of the ARA
    The requirements of, and statutory guidance on, the EYFS and EYFS profile are set out
    in the Statutory framework for the early years foundation stage document, published
    in May 2008. The Early years foundation stage profile handbook provides additional
    information and guidance on the EYFS profile. The Early years foundation stage profile
    handbook is available on the QCDA website at www.qcda.gov.uk/eyfsp or by calling
    the QCDA orderline on 0300 303 3015 and quoting reference QCA/08/3657. The ARA
    provides guidance on the EYFS profile in accordance with the Statutory framework for
    the early years foundation stage which is available on the DfE Standards website at
    www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs or by calling DfE publications on 0845 602 2260 and
    quoting DfE reference 00267-2008BKT-EN.
    The 2011 ARA contains provisions made pursuant to Article 9 of The Education (National
    Curriculum) (Key Stage 1 Assessment Arrangements) (England) Order 2004, which is made
    under section 87(3) and (11) of the Education Act 2002. The ARA gives full effect to, or
    otherwise supplements, the provisions made in the Order and as such has effect as
    if made by the Order. It also contains information that does not form part of the law.