1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming off SSRIs

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Brosie, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I've been on 200mg of Sertraline since June. They are to treat depression and PTSD. I went to pick up my repeat prescription today and there was a note with it from the doctor saying that I had to come off them after this prescription. I'm a bit worried about this as I am barely functioning on them, but what I'm really concerned about is how to stop them. Last time I stopped was when I ended up with liver problems because the doctor had me on citalopram and lofepramine at the same time, but I was in hospital with that and feeling really ill anyway, so I don't really have any experience of what happens.
    I'm thinking I should probably start cutting them down over this month so that I can be off them when the prescription runs out. I did try and get an appointment to see the doctor but apparently there isn't anything available for 3 weeks unless it is an emergency on the day appointment, and according to the receptionist, this doesn't qualify.
    Anyone else come off them? Thanks.

2. I've been on 200mg of Sertraline since June. They are to treat depression and PTSD. I went to pick up my repeat prescription today and there was a note with it from the doctor saying that I had to come off them after this prescription. I'm a bit worried about this as I am barely functioning on them, but what I'm really concerned about is how to stop them. Last time I stopped was when I ended up with liver problems because the doctor had me on citalopram and lofepramine at the same time, but I was in hospital with that and feeling really ill anyway, so I don't really have any experience of what happens.
    I'm thinking I should probably start cutting them down over this month so that I can be off them when the prescription runs out. I did try and get an appointment to see the doctor but apparently there isn't anything available for 3 weeks unless it is an emergency on the day appointment, and according to the receptionist, this doesn't qualify.
    Anyone else come off them? Thanks.

3. Try and book another and tell the receptionist you don't wish to discuss with her the nature of the appointment.
    It seems cavalier to me to announce via a third party that you are to stop taking them without any professional guidance as how to best to manage it, especially since you had medical problems last time.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Don't come off them until you see the GP as you can get really ill and your GP should monitor the reduction. I'd want to know why you have to come off them. Ring the receptionist tomorrow and tell them you need an appointment. I'm not impressed with how your GP has done this and maybe it is time to look for another one.

5. I will make another attempt to get an appointment tomorrow. Problem is you have to ring at 8.30 and they are always busy and I start teaching at 8.40. By break-time all appointments have gone. I'll just have to keep calling until the bell.
    Note said that as it's been seven months I have to stop. It was scrawled (of course, he has textbook poor handwriting) on the bit of paper that is attached to the prescription, which is usually the slip you hand in for repeats. I haven't actually seen a GP since July, and that wasn't for this.
    Thanks for your replies.

6. I find this surprising-I was put on Fluoxetine in October and have to go back at 4 weekly intervals whilst the doctor monitors my progress. How can a doctor tell you to stop taking meds when they haven't even monitored how you have been whilst taking them? Isn't this a tad negligent-or at least lacking in duty of care.
    I'm with Lily-I'd look for another GP if I were you.

7. Sorry I was Torey that said to look for another GP

8. If you can't get one, I suggest you ask your school to cover you for the first lesson and go to the surgery yourself and ask for the appointment.
    I'm not a doctor myself but seven months seems a long time to be dishing out repeat prescriptions for antidepressants without any sort of check-up in between. Why do you have to stop after seven months? My brother's m-i-l was on Sertraline for years! I'd be looking for another doctor.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Are you still with the doctor you posted about several months ago? I believe many of us suggested then that changing you GP would be a good idea.

10. Torey

ILS-I'm impressed with your memory!
    B-I hope if you are with that GP, then this is the final straw to find a better one.

11. He was just the GP registrar, he's gone now. I've had no problems since then as I haven't needed to go since July when they referred me about the melanoma. I did look into changing but all the other practices in the health centre were not accepting new patients as they had full lists. I'll ask again when I'm next in there.
    I'll try for an appointment tomorrow. No chance of cover, there is absolutely no slack. Colleague off sick today and no cover so we had to teach two classes stuck together. Worked when they were the same year group but didn't really succeed with Year 11 and Year 8 together.

12. Torey

Mine has an on line booking facility that you have to register for. Might be worth checking if yours is the same. It is much better than ringing as you can book the night before for any free date/time that week.

13. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi Brosie,
    It's been my experience with many doctors that they would support you in weaning yourself off SSRIs,as it can give physical side effects if you just stop. Maybe his/her note was to the effect that they would be discussing you cutting down gradually -eg if you were give 10 and 20 mg, an alternated, then down to 10mg etc. Obviously aswell as physical withdrawal I assume you will be concerned about emotional effects. Definately one for discussion with a supportive GP.
    Good luck xx.

14. No appointments today, so I'll try again tomorrow. No online booking unfortunately. Definitely no plan to cut down, just normal prescription. If I don't get any joy I'll start weaning next week.

Thanks for the replies.

15. I have been on sertraline and certainly wouldn't recommend coming off quickly... I did try coming off it cold turkey, I can't remember why, and felt terrible- both physically and emotionally. I am shocked that a doctor would suggest that, please try and see someone else.
    I went back on it and weaned myself off.... It should be done under the supervision of a doctor. Basically, I halved the dose and took it every day for a couple of weeks, then took it every other day for a few weeks, then every 2 days etc. It took several months to come off.
    I don't think I had it on repeat until I had been on it for months and months- but it is all a blur.

Good luck and hope you manage to feel better soon.

16. Thank you.
    I have just spent three hours weeping for no real reason, which is odd as I've not felt a real emotion for a while. Tears still falling now, but too exhausted to actually cry if you know what I mean. I think I'm a bit scared. The sertraline don't make it all better but it is usually the difference between crying all the way to work and through every free, and just feeling like it.
    If I don't get an appointment tomorrow I think I may just go to the walk-in clinic in the next town. I don't want to come off them. I've been on repeat since the first prescription, but I suppose I have been on quite a few ADs so they probably think I know what I'm doing. I really don't!

17. If your doctors is anything like mine, do they open the doors at 8.30 at the same time as they start answering the phones. If this is the case, you could try what I do, which is get to the doctors by 8.20 and queue until the door opens. If there is anyone ahead of me in the appointment queue, I start ringing on my mobile phone too while I'm queueing.
    Sometimes I get through on the phone before I get to the front of the queue, but have never failed to get an appointment on the day. Usually it's any early morning appointment, and as we have a cafe near the health centre, I go in there and have a drink rather than go home until appointment time.
    By the way you sound in the above post, you don't sound like you are fit to go into work anyway-so maybe you should call in to work and say you have a stomach upset/diarrhoea and devote the day to seeing your GP as quite honestly you won't feel better until you have seen him.
    Might I also suggest that you post and read the M/H recovery thread. I have been on anti depressants now for 10 weeks and have found a lot of information and support on that thread-there are probably people who could give you far more support that newbies like me can offer.
    Best of luck tommorow-though I suspect you won't see this in the morning, looking at when you posted this evening.
    JJ

18. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Hi Brosie
    I'm not an expert on these matters, but I am sure that a slowly phased (and professionally supervised) withdrawal of ssri medication is preferable to suddenly stopping. You need to see a GP and voice your concerns.

19. Hi Brosie,
    Sorry about your probs.
    Don't forget that things sometimes get 'out of proportion' while we're on meds. Not sure if it's the condition, the meds or what but I do know that I often feel overwhelmed by small things. Often I've only got half the picture though.
    I recently got quite freaked out because when I went to fill in the form for a repeat prescription my doctors name wasn't on the list. I went into a panic because I thought he'd left and my brain was freaking out about seeing a new doctor, trust issues and all sorts. Typically I didn't have enough functioning brain to check but flew off home to huddle in the chair.
    It turned out they'd put some old forms out and hadn't noticed the list of doctors was wrong. By the time I found that out I'd worried for two months. If I came close to asking I didn't in case I didn't like the answer. (I sound like a right head case but I can assure you I was very normal and responsible once.)

20. That sounds like me before I went on antidepressants!