1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming of the pill

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TEACHER16, Jul 27, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I have come off the pill and I was just wondering when you did this when did you roughly get your next period?

2. MIne came back straight away - 30 days. The period you have while on the pill is not a normal period like another poster said.

Bear in mind that when you finish taking the pill, you can ovulate just 8 days later!

3. Just for you dolly3900:
    <h2>How the Pill works </h2>The two hormones in the combined oral contraceptive pill, oestrogen and progestogen work on several levels to prevent pregnancy. Primarily, the Pill works by stopping ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovary). If an egg is not released then of course conception cannot take place. As a back-up, the Pill also makes the mucus released by the cervix thicker so the sperm cannot get through and thins the lining of the uterus so a fertilised egg has difficulty implanting.
    <h2>The Pill and 'periods'</h2>When a woman takes the Pill her normal menstrual cycle is interrupted. In effect, the Pill tricks the body into believing it is pregnant. When the Pill was being developed, however, it was felt that women would find the lack of a normal menstrual cycle disconcerting. Many women, for example, rely on their regular menstrual period for reassurance of not being pregnant. Consequently, it was decided to have the Pill consist of 21 days of active pills (pills containing the hormones), followed by a pill-free interval of seven days (either no pills or sugar pills). The rapid decline in the artificial hormones which occurs in the pill-free interval results in a 'withdrawal bleed', which somewhat resembles a menstrual period and is often still referred to as a 'period' for simplicity. It is important, however, for women to understand that when they take the Pill the bleeding which occurs during the pill free interval is not a menstrual period.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

That would explain why I got pregnant with my 1st child immediately after stopping the pill! It can make you extra fertile when you stop taking it i've heard.

5. Think it really depends on each individual and possibly the type of pill you're taking, for example I take the mini pill everyday and don't remember my last period!

6. But very funny - in the humorous sense.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

6 months before period came back - and then they were not regular in the slightest. Wished I'd come off it earlier, tbh.

8. Mine never came back as I got preggers straight away. As someone else said some seem to be very fertile after coming off the pill.

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I began the pill to help with my skin and then moved onto another pill for 3 months but I have decided there is really no point me being on it I use other methods for contraception. I have the cramps but still no period...been off the pill for 4 weeks now. I wasnt sure weather to visit my GP at this stage or not?
    My friend told me when she came of the pill it took 2 years for her to have a proper period and I think I would like a baby within the next couple of years so thought it may be a good idea to come off the pill now so when I do feel ready I have a better chance of falling pregnant.