1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"coming home without their luggage"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Nov 6, 2015.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Will the news stop reporting that tourists will have to travel without their suitcases in order to get on a plane to get back to the UK as if was a great tragedy and hardship?
    I assume that those suitcases will be full of dirty holiday clothes and I'm sure that those people will be able to survive without them for a few days!

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think it would agitate me to have to come home without my luggage, even though it's not a great tragedy or hardship. I appreciate that it's possibly a necessary precaution but it would still upset me.

FolkFan likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Me too - is there are any plan to actually get their luggage and clothes back or will they have to claim on their insurance?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm sure that it's been said that the luggage will follow soon and will be taken to them by couriers.
    I know it's annoying but considering that those people were probably there for a week, what are we talking about? Swimwear? Summer dresses? Tops? Shorts? Sandals? Probably not many designer ball gowns and nothing you are likely to need in foggy UK.

Also, it's more the headlines I have a problem with, it's the news that make it sound as if a great tragedy had occurred!

coffeekid and aspensquiver like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But a great tragedy HAS occurred and maybe the news wants to emphasise that every effort is being made to prevent another by stopping the export of hold luggage until it has been established that the luggage checking procedure is impeccable.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Maybe.

7. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I'm sitting at the airport now. I'd be severely peeved if my luggage was left behind. It has all my lovely fresh clothes in it and I want to get changed before the three and a half hour drive home after the next ten hour flight.

8. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

Imagine if you've got a young child or a baby. A small bag does not hold that much.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Better cramming what you can into a small bag than risking a bomb in the hold. I would imagine most passengers would choose the former and will just be glad to get home.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd want to get out of the airport and home as soon as possible. I've been to Sharm and the airport isn't very nice - inadequate toilets and as far as I can remember only one food outlet selling pizza (about 5 years ago). I don't remember the security being in any way unusual though. I think, overall, safety would be the most important thing.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The suitcases in the news are full of one week's worth of dirty holiday clothes, not lovely fresh clothes!

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do you mean on the flight? They are allowed to take hand luggage on the flight. It's the suitcases that go in hold that will be flown separately. Even, if the suitcase was in the hold on the same plane, you would not be able to access your stuff !
    I imagine that people with children would have more baby clothes at home?

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

When you consider what happened to that plane full of people, having to be parted from your stupid suitcase for a while is not a tragedy. How self-centred those suitcase owners are and how quickly they forget "There but for the grace of God..."

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

I don't think anyone can argue against the government's stance, but on a practical level, those people who are separated from their buggies and wheelchairs will possibly find it quite tough going at times.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I still don't understand why having your big suitcase in the same plane as you or not having it in the same plane as you would make any difference if you have a baby on board with you. In both cases, you'd have to do with whatever you're allowed as hand luggage. It's not as if you can nip in and out of the hold while you're flying.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If those are not flown back, I'm sure the UK airport can arrange something for them?

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You just need to pack a change of clothes in your hand luggage.
    For a 7-10 day holiday we manage with hand luggage only anyway, by ascertaining that we have access to a laundry at the destination.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Of course, @Motherofchikkins might be speaking about a situation when people are traveling long haul and taking several planes to get to their destination (or get back from it).

The people in the news are getting back from package holidays in Egypt and coming back to UK destinations and going straight home.

19. smoothnewt

To get them through the airport, no doubt. But what about once they leave its confines? Could be tricky.

20. smoothnewt

I think you'd need more stuff with you, for once you get off the plane and have to travel onwards to your home - stuff you could easily remove from the suitcase once your been through the baggage reclaim in ordinary circumstances. Trying to get all that into hand luggage could be problematic.