1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming from SEN to Mainstream interview Theo or anyone!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missRV, Jan 29, 2016.

1. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

Please help!
    I have an interview next week for a SENCO post in a very affluent school. I am currently working in a Special School which I love! But it's career progression.

The school are asking me to deliver a 40 minute tutorial lesson but haven't given me any other details! They also said I will be interviewed by 3 members of SLT.

Is there a link to possible questions I may be asked? Do I wear a suit for the interview (I'm a female in my late 20s with super long hair) I am coming from a school where trainers and yoga pants are the norm so this is chalk and cheese.

I know these questions may have already been asked but I'm really panicking!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Stop that panicking straight away! You have already impressed them with your application, no reason why you shouldn't continue to impress at interview too. Especially with me on your side. :)

I am going to give you the links to the advice articles. But first I am going to make a specific point:

I think that your hair should be tied back or put up. You are trying to get appointed, not dated. ;) A curtain of gorgeous long hair could be distracting.

Formal and professional is the watchword here. Some sort of jacket with a skirt or tailored trousers. You are not trying to look attractive (remember: you are trying to get appointed, not . . . ), but professional, worthy of respect.

Now off to start reading the advice.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview? Here you are - more advice!

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

3. missRV

Thank you so much Theo :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My pleasure!

Good luck

5. missRV

Well I went shopping today with mum for an interview suit, and I think I've found it!

[​IMG]

Any feedback welcome and appreciated, I'm not sure on the top

6. Ms Independant

Ms Independant New commenter

That looks spot on :) Feeling good about what you are wearing makes a big difference to confidence.

Good luck!

7. missRV

Thanks hun :) I did a dry run of the school this morning and I'm now ready :)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! But remember that Sunday traffic isn't quite the same. ;)

Best of luck

9. missRV

It took me 20 minutes today....... I'm going to allow myself just over an hour for the interview day and bring some paper work to do in the car....... I've read all the articles you've sent thanks theo griff....... I'm working on my mindmaps today and I've read through the SEND code of practice the JCQ access arrangements paper, I'm feeling ready :)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs up emoticon)

11. missRV

thanks chick :)