1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming back to UK after 14 months Help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by emmai, Nov 23, 2015.

1. emmai

emmai New commenter

I'm not sure this is the right place to post but here goes.

I took an assistant head role in a private school in Kuala Lumpur, in Aug 2014. Before that I had 13 yrs experience and was head of a school.

Unfortunately, personal problems mean I have to terminate my contract and need to be home. I will return in two weeks and am hoping to apply for role in Jan or Supply ???

I was wondering how my time abroad will effect my application ie DBS. I think I can apply for a letter her of good conduct but that can take 3-6 months and I have to be here to collect it. I asked a friend who recently returned from Abu Dhabi and she said her new school never had a problem and followed the normal advanced check.

Has anyone had any experience of this ??? I'm panicking a bit about this, I can't afford to be without a job and i have no choice but to return. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

All you can do is your best here about the DBS check. However, I do have a slight concern, from your wording:

My concern is that I wonder if you are in fact breaking your contract? The concern is that (a) this may well be reflected in the reference from your school abroad, and (b) in some cases in some countries, the school can try to stymie the letter of good conduct.

References are also going to be very important, not just the DBS

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

May I suggest that you post this query on the Teaching Overseas forum? You may get more information on there.

Best wishes