1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming back to teaching?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missmarvellous, Mar 29, 2016.

1. missmarvellous

missmarvellous New commenter

I would welcome advice. I left teaching last July after being unable to secure a part time post. I wanted part time as I have three children and just couldn't manage the hours required to work full time. After a couple of years on temporary posts and having to go through horrendous interviews I gave up and went back to my first career.
    The problem is, I miss teaching. I was in primary and I miss the kids, I miss the relationship you build with them, I miss having a classroom and I miss the holidays! I don't miss Ofsted, planning or marking. I have been looking at jobs and am tempted to apply. Realistically I will have to apply for full time. My question is, I'm I mad? Would it even be possible to get an interview after a 12 month break? And if I did get an interview how would I explain my absence?
    Like I said, any thoughts or advice welcome.

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Have you considered supply work?
    Apart from the long-term aspect that you may be looking for, it sounds almost ideal for your situation (from an outsiders point of view :p).

Many supply jobs develop into something more permanent and it may prove to be an easier transition back into teaching. :)

Good luck!

3. alexdoncaster

alexdoncaster New commenter

What you could do is try and get a part time post outside of teaching for a few days and then so supply for the rest of the week. That way you will be able to test the waters without taking the full plunge back into full time teaching.You would also be able to experience lots of different settings, and should you decide to go back to teaching full time, you'd have an idea of what age / type of school you'd like to work in. Best wishes whatever you do! You do need to also consider the fact that supply work can be hit and miss and day to day work can be a bit thin on the ground at the start and end of the academic year.

joannagb and wanet like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1 Will you be able to cope full-time? Have your 3 kids suddenly got a lot more independent?
    2 Teaching hasn't got any easier.
    3 You explain the year off by saying the workload was onerous but your children are now SO MUCH MORE settled and their grandparents (this could all be lies btw) are going to help out and you can now resume the career you love and manage the workload, it won't be a problem, you're ready for anything blah blah blah.
    4 Write a good application and you ought to get some interest. There's a shortage.

nomad likes this.
  5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

What grumpydogwoman says.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Supply work could be tricky as you would have to be ready to go at any moment - which might not fit in with your daily getting-them-to-school routine with 3 children.

I'll say that I'll do what I can to help you with your application. You might like these for starters - then come down to Jobseekers (scroll down the forums list) for more.

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Get ready for the application season!

Best wishes

7. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I have done supply on an 'advanced bookings only' basis. Not always so much work, but worked for me.

I had not end of offers for long term supply. Could this be a compromise? See what it might really be like long term, but with an end in sight.

Remember, though that the long term supply could be cut short early.

I couldn't contemplate going full time in the current climate.

8. missmarvellous

missmarvellous New commenter

Thank you for all your advice. There is no teacher shortage in my area though - quite the opposite unfortunately!

9. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Put YOUR children and family first and don't do it. I think you have forgotten the crazy work load and unrealistic expectations. Try and continue with some other part time work. I have come across some part time teachers who go into school on their days off as there is too much to do. They tell me that part time almost feels like full time.

10. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Could you try and do a job still working with children in a different way? I know some people do a mix of part time teaching, supply and tutoring? Obviously depends on the area and what works but I'd be really cautious of diving into a full time role (have you heard the news over past few weeks?) Unless you find a nice, supportive school you could find yourself stuck in a full time role and hate it. Don't want to sound pessimistic but it's grim for some at the moment. To be frank I know you miss the children but at least you have time to spend with your own :)