1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coming back to teaching! Help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wobblewibble, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I was a primary teacher for 14 years, until I moved to Scotland with my husband's job. In our naiivety, we were led to believe that I would be able to teach in Scotland. Unfortunately that was not the case. So I have been out of the classroom for 3 years, but had a baby during that time, so it was not wasted time!!lol. Due to us having our little girl, we decided we wanted to move closer to family as being 500 miles away was not easy to see nan and grandad. So we have moved back to England, and I am thinking about going on the supply list, and I am feeling very nervous as I have been out of the system so long. Am I right in thinking that there is now a creative curriculum, and that we no longer do Literacy or Numeracy hours? Gosh I feel like an NQT again!

2. becky70

becky70 New commenter

There is a creative curriculum - in some schools. However most schools do still do Literacy and Numeracy sessions daily (maybe not an hour now). OFSTED focus is still on literacy and numeracy so they are still top priorities. However we do have a new government now so there will be more changes on the way!
    Good luck with supply - if you are going for it, the Supply Teachers forum on here is a good place to ask questions and get help.

3. I love doing supply as the work tends to be set and you can mark it, then walk away at the end of the day. I worked hard but enjoyed the lack of responsibility. You'll need to carry some failsafe resources with you and, if possible, the names of a few websites so you can download stuff if necessary. If it's sick cover then you may be left with nothing at all. I would recommend finding some word problems for Numeracy and some comprehension activities for Literacy for each year group in KS2 as these will always come in useful. Countdown usually works well too as you can spend ages making words from SOMETHING (a fab 9 letter word to jumble up!) and using a set of numbers to find a target number. Dictionary exercises can be good, along with times table bingo. I've done more KS2 supply than anywhere else but I soon realised that a knowledge of songs was useful in KS1, along with a couple of favourite picture books. Have you heard of 'Some Dogs Do'? I think I read ot to every KS1 class I covered on supply and they all loved it!

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I did a return to teaching course, and found that useful and confidence building - I was originally going to go on supply. I've now done two termly contracts and am in the process of looking for somehting longer term. I'm not really enjoying the chopping and changing - although supply certainly has its attractions!!