1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comic Relief 24-hour panel show marathon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Mar 5, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Anybody else watching this?
    Apparently the shows will be edited and shown on BBC3 in the coming weeks, but quite an amusing thing to have on in the background - save for the silences during swearing apparently.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/24hourpanelpeople/

2. tafkam

Anybody else watching this?
    Apparently the shows will be edited and shown on BBC3 in the coming weeks, but quite an amusing thing to have on in the background - save for the silences during swearing apparently.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/24hourpanelpeople/

3. Does it include those fec kin' idiots, Henry and Ross? If so I think I would rather put my nose in a blender to make it go red.

4. tafkam

Thankfully no Ross as yet.
    Have watched a reasonably good version of 'Would I Lie to You' and now a slightly less-good version of '8 out of 10 cats'
    Unfortunately every show includes David "Carry On" Walliams

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I would much rather give money to alcoholic dossers vomiting in the street than comic relief, which I have done. Anything with pudsey bear or red noses makes me shudder. I hate it. The whole lot of them make me misanthropic, which is another thing I don't like about it, I wish them ill. Hives, piles and a very sore throat due to over-tight twizzling bow-ties. All too good for them.

6. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

That's me sofa-ed for the rest of the day now I think

7. I'd smack them in the face with a baseball bat but I'm sure the irony would be lost on them.

8. Whether they get paid or not I always see Comic Relief mainly as a self-promotion vehicle for most of the 'celebrities' I find really irritating to watch. [​IMG]

9. Arched eyebrow - that is such a cynical, sad thing to say. They bring the money in because they are well known. You don't have to watch it but it would be good to step outside your life for a very short time and give something to those who really struggle in our very cruel world.

10. How do you know that AE doesn't already give a lot to those who struggle?

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Arched is clearly a bad lot.

12. Fair point. I withdraw that section of my comment. I maintain my point that criticising people who are instrumental in raising millions for charity is unnecessarily harsh. If I was famous I'd be doing the same - using my celebrity to do good. It's not dissimilar to the teacher who puts herself in 'the stocks' in the wet sponge throwing stall at the school summer fete. They too will raise more money than another random adult because everyone knows them. Some might argue that those teachers are doing it to become more popular with the students.

13. Well, thanks Beestoni.
    I can't help it if I find MOST celebrities vacuous, full of self-importance and s*hit. I am irritated beyond belief by most of them, so if I choose to turn to other channels should they infiltrate my living room via the box, is that wrong?
    Comic relief annoys me and lots of others I suspect. If I never see Lenny Henry or Davina Whatsername again it will be a blessing. Well done to those people who raise money for worthwhile charities...much respect, but forgive me if I don't find much of what they do to raise it very entertaining. I do not need to be prompted six million times in the course of one evening by some idiot, with millions in his own personal bank account, to give to a worthwhile cause.

"It would be good to step outside your life for a very short time and give something to those who really struggle in our very cruel world."

I am not sure why you felt you needed to add that comment.
    For all you know I could do voluntary work several days a week...and have several standing orders set up in order to give to charity. For your information I am stupidly sentimental and a sucker for most hard-luck stories. AND...my own little world can be a bit of a struggle at times too beestoni.....but you wouldn't know that.

14. AE - as you can see I did withdraw the part of my comment that you quote second. Of course I don't know how much you do for other people. And as for your life being a struggle, yes I am sure it is, maybe not as much as the people we see in the comic relief documentaries - but who am I to judge? Each of us has our own problems. I am sure you are a lovely person and I apologise if my comments led anyone to think that I think otherwise. I do think that Comic Relief is an amazing and moving effort on the part of thousands of people, if not millions, across the UK and I, for one, applaud it.