1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comforting books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Nov 28, 2011.

1. For me, Adrian Mole is super-comforting. Oddly (does anyone else get this?) I find reading about other people's **** lives quite comforting, too. For example, Twopence to Cross the Mersey, an autobiographical account of grinding paverty in Pre-war Liverpool (hmm, cheery!)

You?

2. One of my tutor group was given a detention by a member of SLT because he (student) was wearing red socks when they should only wear black socks. When said student told me I couldn't stop laughing, not at him (obviously; I'm not *that* mean), but because it reminded me of Adrian Mole. I wish I hadn't got rid of my copy now, because I fancy reading it again!
    I'm currently re-reading for the nth time the 'Anne of...' books. I find them really comforting, mainly because they remind me of being a kid. I think it's got something to do with only having a month of being in my 20s left.

3. I know what you mean. Makes you count your blessings and all that.
    For related reasons, I like psychological thrillers, as long as they are well written. Its the 'thank god this isn't happening to me' syndrome!

4. Oh I am currently re-reading Jane Eyre and I'm at the point where she has just met Helen Burns so really not at all cheery but I do find it strangely comforting when I am fed up. Maybe it's the thought that no matter how rubbish my life is it's not as bad as Jane's!

Another favourite is Margaret Atwood's Edible Woman. When I am trying to lose weight the description of egg yolks as "a blinking eye" is enough to help quash any appetite.

5. Oh, I love Cat's Eye - for both comfort and the fact it's such a good book.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I used to love all of those.
    My favourite comfort book is To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Anything trashy by Leslie Pearce or Penny Vincenzi always hits the spot when I'm busy at work and want to leave my brain at the door.

7. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Another Adrian Mole fan.
    Also, has to be said, Bridget Jones can make an appearance if am in need of a giggle! Sounds rather outdated now, but quite love it.
    Also, White Teeth. Love it

8. My confort reads ......
    Village School by Miss Read
    Adrian Mole
    Jeeves and Wooster stories
    Poirot or Miss Marple

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I quite like space opera or a trashy old western but pride and prejudice is my most re-read book.
    Big softy that I am.

10. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Cold Comfort Farm. Laugh out loud funny and the only remotely accessible book we studied in the 6th form. Strange how I have ended up farming (and teaching) although hopefully not as badly as the Starkadders!

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Terribly sad probably but anything by Rosamund Pilcher!! Her books are always about great food, good company and beautiful scenery! True escapism for me. Time to dig out Winter Solstice again methinks...!

12. Grapes of Wrath

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The Chalet School series (Mainly by Elinor Brent-Dyer but the authorised fill-ins are good too)
    Agatha Christie.
    C.S.Lewis
    Louisa M Alcott (The Little Women series is a favourite...but I also love the Eight Cousins/Rose in Bloom books.)
    Trotzkopf series (a German school/family series by Emmy von Rhoden...I think that at least the first one has been translated)
    Erich Kaestner (I'd probably choose Das doppelte Lottchen....it's the book that The Parent Trap was based on)

Most of my 'comfort' reading seems to be childhood books!

14. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Me too - Little House on the Prairie series and the Anne (of Green Gables fame) series.
    I also love re-reading Pride and Prejudice and am going to start it again tonight.

15. There are several books I return to time and time again:
    Staying On - Paul Scott
    The Siege of Krishnapur - J G Farrell
    St Agnes' Stand - Thomas Eidson
    Amenable Women - Mavis Cheek
    Georgette Heyer - any/all of them but especially Venetia

16. I like the abridged version of "Great Expectations".

17. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

'Full Hearts and Empty Bellies' by Winfred Foley. My paternal family is from the Forest of Dean and its just lovely to hear the old voices and accents in the book, as well as places we used to visit when I was a child.

18. lalala

lalala New commenter

This thread got me thinking about some of the wonderful books I read as a child. Loved The Warden's Niece. Couldn't remember who wrote it, googled it (Gillian Avery) and have now bought it on Amazon for 1p!!! Childhood reminiscences, here I come [​IMG] Now looking up the Ruth M Arthur books I remember reading at secondary school: The Saracen Lamp, The Whistling Boy and Portrait of Margarita!
    I also find I return frequently to Oscar Wilde's short stories when seeking a bit of comfort. They make me totally sob, especially the Selfish Giant, Happy Prince and Birthday of the Infanta - but I find that strangely comforting!

19. The Jennings and Derbyshire books by Anthony Buckeridge.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If it's undemanding and uplifting I'd recommend any of the Biggles books by Captain W E Johns, although they weren't written for girls it has to be said ;-)

If you think you're having a bad time and you want a short inspirational book that proves most definitely that you're not, try 'The Diving Bell and The Butterfly' by Jean-Dominic Bauby.