1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

comfort eating

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by turquoisesparkles, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm just wondering if other people do this.
    I'm hoping to lose about 10 pounds to a stone by the summer, so while I'm not skinny I'm definitely not really fat either but I am going through a hard time just at the moment and I am finding it really quite difficult not to eat a lot. I know why I do it, it soothes my nerves and takes my mind off things, but knowing that doesn't seem to help.
    I generally start the day off OK but by the evening just want to eat 10 bars of chocolate and then feel really annoyed with myself.
    Any tips people have for avoiding this would be welcome, I'm sure I'm not alone. x

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have always had the urge for something sweet when I am tired. I make sure that I have fruit in the house and no chocolate. It isn't the same but if there is no choice then it has to do.
    My favourite fruits for satisfying that sweet craving are cherries, mango or grapes. Bananas are good for those times when you feel empty and need filling up.

3. There are a couple of things to consider. On a practical level have you eaten enough throughout the day and at dinner? When I explore with people what they eat, even those who feel they are carrying extra weight often under-eat so that their bodies are still craving nutrients. Do maybe worth a look. If you're experiencing a hard time at the moment it's likely that these food stuffs at the end of your day is your reward system. A way of compensating yourself for the trials of the day. So, what else could you do that would feel like a treat or reward that would not de-rail your weight loss ambitions? It would be great to find those alternatives. Using chocolate just makes you feel bad about yourself. It's a great way to beat yourself up and remind yourself why you feel bad about being you. Ideally this needs to switch to a perspective of what can I do for me to love and take care of me more than just chocolate. Good luck and be kind to yourself.

4. My eating is absolutely a reward for getting through the day, I know it is! I don't feel bad when I eat chocolate, though. It's a ***. Although I am very well aware of this, I suppose I hadn't thought of what feel-good thing I could do instead. Likely to be buying jewellery I suspect. I mustn't then eat chocolate as a celebration! Seriously though - it would be good to do what you suggest, Sally.

5. Ok buying jewellery sounds ruinous in a financial way as opposed to a waist band way! :) I'm kind of thinking a new paper back book or a luxurious bath or an evening stroll now the days are getting longer. Something that can feed your soul. It doesn't need to be elaborate. I could say theatre or live music or a trip to the coast, but it needs to be something that is actually do-able at the end of a challenging day.

It's complex in as much as it is about acknowledging that you deserve more; that you are raising your own personal bar; and that chocolate, ultimately doesn't cut it; and that you deserve more. Regards Sally

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Go to a bead shop, and learn how to make your own jewellery.

Then you'll be busy in an evening and not thinking about eating, and also you'll have plenty of unique jewellery!

7. I "boredom eat". Rather than get on with the million and 1 things I should do (and often enjoy once I get my ar*e in gear) I find myself watching rubbish on the telly while nipping off to the kitchen for a little something every other ad break. Each snack is often very tiny but I end up picking all night. It's OK if I can stick to carrot and celery sticks but I generally don't.
    I have also discovered that sometimes my peckishness is actually thirst and a drink will fill the gap better than food.

8. I used to binge eat too cause I was bored more than anything.

I picked up a hobby and learnt to quilt and this kept my mind and hands busy and now my bed looks super!

If you do feel the need to snack go for fruit or nuts.

OR go for dark rich chocolate and that way you wont be able to eat too much.

Good Luck