1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comedy obstetrician

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jul 28, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh my Lord!
    That consultant has to have been having a laugh, must have had a bet on with someone, cannot possibly be for real!
    What a seriously rude and dehumanising person. Referring to my grandchild as "it"! As in "we get it out". And oh my, what "We" do to women, is unbelievable. It must be a joke and the real consultant will be in on it.
    We do this, We do that, then we do the other, to get "it" out.
    Some things have not changed in the last 29 years. M and S my not accept Sale items on return anymore but obstetrics is still oppression.

2. Which Trust is this?

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I had 2 consultants and my (obs/ gyn trained) GP examine me and declare that my baby was engaged, head down. Then there was some concern or other so they scanned me and found that he was double breach ie bottom first, legs over shoulders. They quite literally, couldn't tell an **** from an elbow.

4. Gosh, if only they'd been able to see through solid flesh.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

The midwife had been telling my GP she was sure the baby was breach! They (midwives) can tell by palpating your bump.
    Comedy of errors aside, it I hadn't had the scan it could've been a serious problem as it is rare to be able to deliver a baby backside first, especially with a first baby.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I think my daughter is in many ways more able to organise and assert herself than ever I was in childbirth. She is also a lot more sciencey than I am and has lot of knowledge about matters medical and scientific. She knows that she can ask for any medical person to be removed from caring for her is she so wishes.
    She works for the NHS as does her husband. Her husband has delivered lots of babies too.
    We practised putting nappies on teddy bears last night for some time, before eyeing up the cat for a bottom practice.
    My emotions on the matter are: that consultants should treat women with respect in matters of child birth. NICE guidance highlights "high quality communication between staff and mothers" (not a direct quote but a paraphrase) for the management of LN's complication. All this consultant needed to say was to pop back in a fortnight and we'll have another little chat, all is fine and going well, well done, see you soon! And perhaps saying hello and goodbye would have been in order too.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was the opposite! They were all convinced A was breech - when they cut me open to get her out (it was always going to be a C section!), they found that the reason they thought this was that her head was so far engaged they couldn't feel it! In the end the poor thing had to be pulled backwards with forceps and was born with a big bruise on her face!

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

My grandchild now weighs 6 lbs and 5 ozs apparently. The "Radiographer" was absolutely lovely, mature and very very good with people. However, and oddly, she kept apologising after making lighthearted comments. It was all a bit odd really.

9. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I think she was apologising because maybe light-hearted comments are not what some people would expect from a professional? Maybe apologising a lot is just part of her personality. Whatever, I do think you're reading too much into it.