1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Come to my gig in Oswestry!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by whacko!, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Well the supply teaching's gone ****-up, my bad knee prevents me from doing any strenuous work and despite my best efforts, people don't appreciate great art when they see it (i.e. my paintings on ebay that are supposed to make me my fortune).
    So, the guitar's coming out. I shall be performing an evening of classic hits interspersed with wry (or possibly awry) banter, at The Railway Inn, Oswestry, Shropshire, on Friday 16th March. Right by Morrison's car park.
    No doubt I'll add more shameless gig-plugs nearer the date!

2. Best of luck for the gig, whacko!.
    I'm in the very far north, so it might be a bit far for me to travel, but I hope you get lots of support from nearby TESsers. :)

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'll second that. Oswestry is probably one of the worst places to get to, although you could have chosen Bangor via Oswestry I suppose.
    Do you think you'll venture further afield?
    I see you're playing at the Railway Inn, how about ending the gig with this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapCVV9iCho&feature=fvwrel

4. I don't think ebay's the place to sell art! Try sending some j-pegs to local galleries - you've more chance of success there! Ebay is RUBBISH for art-selling. Good luck with the gig, though, sounds fun.

5. Thanks for the song suggestion modelmaker... for anyone too lazy to click the link, it's "The Railway Hotel", by Mike Batt.
    I was thinking of learning "Remember You're A Womble" - much more catchy.

Coffeekid: there are some self-representing artists on ebay turning over thousands of pounds per month (e.g. Mal Burton - look him up). Many others have shops and their art to me looks amateurish and simplistic - but they too turn over large sums. My thinking is that as a part-time activity, I'd need just a few punters per month to make it viable and along with my work as the best entertainer in Shropshire, would never have to work as a teacher ever again. I have a number of pieces on sale at the moment, but it's rather sluggish. I don't know how the business model works with selling through galleries - plus, I think they'd say my work was not good enough!

6. Wow, who knew? The art I've seen on Ebay looks dreadful - new-agey stuff appears to be rife over there, along with pictures of wolves etc. :) I might have another look though.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I could get to Oswestry, its not far and I do like the town, but...

... I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than go to some naff dive for an evening of naff entertainment.

8. feel free.

Have a good gig, whacko.

9. Oh jacob, don't be such a miserable b@gger!
    You go, whacko! Strum that guitar and wow the hordes.

10. Good, because there's nothing worse than a naff audience.

11. And thanks to the others for your encouragement!
    I'm working on some especially naff songs at the moment.

12. modelmaker

I'm all in favour of live music in pubs. It's sad there are fewer pubs that offer it than there were in my youth. It didn't matter then, what day of the week it was, there was always somewhere to go and be entertained, nowadays it's more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfwUsBBkzI

13. Take no notice of Jacob. He's got meldrewitis.
    All the very best for the gig.
    Sing it to 'em

14. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

That would be 15 / love to Whacko then :)

15. Let us know if you come as far south as Bridgenorth on your world tour. :¬))

16. I've been doing some phoning to find venues. Do you know of anywhere in the Bridgnorth area that puts live music on? Please let me know, and I'll try to get bookings.

17. modelmaker

Sounds like the ideal way to organise TES meets around the country. Find your local pub that offers live music, tell them you know the Great Whacko and could probably get him to play a gig there, then if they show interest advertise it on here so that others who live in the area can ring up the pub and say they'd heard through the grapevine that Whacko was going to be playing there and wondered when it was going to be...
    Do you do the Macarena, Whacko?

18. We could be Whacko's groupies, mm and throw our y-fronts on the stage at every gig. :¬))