1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Come to Dine with me again

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by PlymouthMaid, Mar 13, 2011.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

How are these blethering fools I have just seen on tonight's programme? None of them apart from the one cooking it, has ever heard of or could pronounce Vichysoisse. The vegetarian was just a bloody fussy trollop who gives vegetarians a bad name. One 'chef' had no idea that parmesan was not vegetarian etc. Even if you are a raging carnivore, surely you would check recipes out a little better if cooking for a vegetarian guest. It wouldn't matter apart from the fact that these people are meant to be foodies. Pathetic, argggggg

2. PlymouthMaid

How are these blethering fools I have just seen on tonight's programme? None of them apart from the one cooking it, has ever heard of or could pronounce Vichysoisse. The vegetarian was just a bloody fussy trollop who gives vegetarians a bad name. One 'chef' had no idea that parmesan was not vegetarian etc. Even if you are a raging carnivore, surely you would check recipes out a little better if cooking for a vegetarian guest. It wouldn't matter apart from the fact that these people are meant to be foodies. Pathetic, argggggg

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

To be honest I've never heard of vichysoisse ( I assume you pronounce it vish-ee-swarse and it's French?) I know a lot of vegetarians who would eat parmesan because it isn't meat. Not many veggies I know are strict enough to include all products with rennet in - but without knowing the person I wouldn't risk it and would stick to a truly vegetarian menu!!

4. Calm down dear and console yourself with the thought that nobody who goes on CDWM is a real foodie! That is probably what makes it such fun.........

5. PlymouthMaid

I agree that most 'vegetarians' would eat it but that doesnt mean that a host should assume so. I wouldn't touch gelatin for instance but will drink wine and eat cheese as i am not a real vegetarian. You are right Cosmos, must calm down about these cretins. I have never had vichysoisse but have come across it in cook books.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Just watching the start of it. The first guy is a right thug. If you aren't prepared to feed a veggie then don't do the programme!
    He made so little effort to prepare food for her and then had a go.
    I hope she gets revenge on her night.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a certain sympathy for him: he is being <u>told</u> to make something different for her because she won't eat meat, but it isn't reciprocated and she is not required to make a meat dish for him!

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I always attempt wherever possible never to invite vegetarians to dinner.
    [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a very dear friend who is a strict Jew - while I am very happy to eat out with her, I find feeding her at home a pain - it's the same sort of thing, isn't it?
    I mean, I'll happily cook a meal without pork, but different pans, plates etc (which she has at home) is just too much to ask of someone who doesn't follow your eating plan.
    I would never dream of insisting that someone feds me lots of garlic and olive oil!!!

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

The veggie came across as being very, very fussy at the 1st DP, then I started to feel a bit sorry for her because the guy kept going on about the "lack of protein"!
    I have many friends who are veggies and many members of my Egyptian family are non-meat eaters - I cannot wait to see the reaction of my Greek family (complete carnivores) at the wedding when they realise that maybe a third or more of the guests don't eat meat!

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I must have been watching a different CDWM yesterday. There was a hairdresser who got on everyone's nerves, an arits who kept pubic hairs and toenail clippings to use in his paintings and a woman who got so ****** she dropped the pudding she'd specially made for one guest.
    Does make me laugh though!

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Were you watching the one on More4. The one people were talking about was the Channel 4 (not a repeat) one.
    The vegetarian was a bit drippy but the carnivore was one of the most obnoxious people I have ever seen on the programme.