1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Come Dine with Me - what would be your menu?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jo_south_yorks, Feb 27, 2011.

1. After a bit of inspiration really.
    I suggested to friends tongiht that we should have our own mini Come Dine with Me competition, with no £1000 prize obviously. But now I'm regretting it as all my staples and the meals I'm good at will not be fancy enough (especially as my flatmate will also be cookign for one night and so will know what my food is like!)
    What would you cook for your three courses?
    JSY x

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This has come up before in a previous thread so if you search for it it should give some inspiration.
    Basic rules I'd apply is keep it safe and keep it simple. Don't cook ingedients that could prove unpopular, like calves liver (yummy, but strictly for those you know like it!)
    Choose something you can prep as much as possible beforehand too, and do not try out something entirely new!
    Maybe a really tasty soup to start with a nice garnish.....looks good, tastes good and simple.
    For dessert maybe a mouse or creme brulee that you can prepare beforehand? I'd serve a chocolate mousse with maybe a pear and orange compote (easy!) or red berries. Another trick with mousse is, when it has set, take a syringe and needle and inject, yes inject, booze of your choice. Not a lot but it does produce a lovely surprise pool of alcohol as you dig your spoon into the mousse!
    With creme brulee put some raspberries uner the custard, or some chopped ripe mango. You could make a praline (almonds or other nuts) in caramel then, when set, whizz to a pwder and use this as an alternative brulee topping.
    Will give some thought to a main course for you and come back in a mo.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, I thought this had been done before as well. I can't remember what I'd put for mine though, but I would go for a BBQ.

Start with a variety of dips with crudités and bread, eg hummus, baba channouche, betanjin, then BBQ a whole shoulder of lamb, marinaded for 24 hours in lemon, bay leaves, garlic, olive oil and white wine, kofta and falafel, lavash bread, served with a warm potato salad in vinaigrette, tabbouleh, radish and orange salad with sumac and salad leaves. Finish with Lebanese coffee ice cream and/or baklaweh.

4. Sorry I didn't realise it had been done before! I shall have a look for it.
    I don't have an outside space for a BBQ (one of the downsides of being on the 3rd floor). Would your lamb recipe work in the oven, lapin?
    Thanks for your ideas Belle, that mousse idea sounds fab, can personalise the alcohol in the puds too for each guest!
    JSY x

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes you can just roast it after marinading, but it's probably best to cook it under a medium heat grill.

Here's how to do. get a whole or half shoulder of lamb and stab it all over with a sharp knife. Finely slice a couple of cloves of garlic, put into the marinade dish/tin whatever. Tear up three or four bay leaves, fresh or dried, add to dish, then add a couple of glasses of wine and about a glassful of olive oil. Put the lamb in and turn, cover with cling film, keep in a cool place, after a few hours turn the lamb over, do this a couple more times.

To roast, heat the oven to a high temp about 220C, put the lamb into a baking tin and put in. Take it out and turn after 10 mins. After another 10 it will be cooked to the rare state. If you prefer well cooked, lower the temperature for another hour. You can carve off and keep nputting it back.
    To grill Heat the grill to high, then put the lamb under for 10 mins, turn and repeat, rare lamb, for more well done use a medium heat grill.
    Nice with tomato and chilli sauce and yoghourt with garlic and mint in.

6. Sounds yummy lapin! I'm not a great cook but I think even I could do that! Thanks :)
    JSY x

7. CQ, could you possibly post the recipe for your starter, sounds gorgeous!!
    And as for the different drinks for each course... I wish I could go that far and do that but I have a feeling I will be drinking lemonade throughout, and my male guests will be drinking beer and my female guest on a spirit and mixer of some kind!
    I think I should stick to what I know and am good at, but why not push the boat out a bit! Worth trying new things I think, and no time like trying to impress friends and win a pretend prize that doesnt exist... haha!
    x

8. 500g raspberries
    200 ml ish of water
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    150 ml maple syrup or honey
    500 ml apple juice
    Whizz together. Chilll for at least 2 hours.
    Whirl in some cream in spirals.
    Mint relish:
    a big handful of chopped, fresh mint
    a wee but of freshly ground pepper (or a few green pepper corns)
    a drop of oil
    mix to a paste which can be dropped from a spoon.

9. btw - adapt to suit you! (as ever).

10. sorry, forgot to add, add the liquid carefully so that the soup is not too thin (or as you like it).
    Drizzle the "mint pesto" as squiggles over the top.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I suspect they wouldn't be told what to drink, either [​IMG]

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

The chilled soup sounds different. I may just try that!

13. Please do - it is very yummy! Lovely in the Summer. You really must use fresh mint, of course!

14. I think I'm on course to lose then as I have no hot tub, nor a sauna... but that can't be helped as I'm in a 3rd floor flat with no room for either! Not even got a balcony to put a little one on!
    And nick, yes I certainly have the arrogant young man, that would be my flatmate who thinks that uncooked homemade chips and pork cooked so that it is as hard as cardboard is edible, and how pork SHOULD be cooked>!?!>
    JSY x