1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Combined A Level Lang/Lit or seperate?

Discussion in 'English' started by bambinaUK, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I have a student who is passionate about English and intends to study it at Uni, but is struggling to decide whether she wants to do a combined lang/lit A level, study both seperately or study just English Lit and Spanish as well as History and RE. It is out of my area of expertise, so if someone would be so kind as to give me some advice it would be much appreciated.
    She is an excellent student in all her subjects and this decision is stopping her from deciding which Sixth Form College she wants to attend due to the course options they are offering.

2. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

If she is really bright and might be applying for Oxbridge(and I know some people here will disagree) but from my experience I would suggest: studying the Literature, History (is a great combo) and either RE or Spanish.
    This is because many universities have been slow to understand the Lang/Lit courses and expect a more traditional route, studying History and RE also gives some really good essay writing skills and important historical and religious background to texts that is invaluable in university study. She should consider which she will get the best grade in and which she enjoys.
    I would suggest not studying both Eng and Lit because although we all know they are very different, some universities don't and a greater breadth of study would be better for her in securing a University place. If she is considering studying a Language and Linguistics course at univ like then English Lang would be better than Literature, but generally I would suggest Literature.
    Hope this helps, but of course others will doubtless give other advice.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Check the Russell Group's guidance document, but I would agree that combined Lit/Lang is not the way to go.

4. Literature.
    If you want to do English at univerity then admissions tutors will mainly be looking at ability to read and respond to the classics. So a full English literature A-level puts you in a far stronger positon than a combined language/literature A-level.
    There's no reason English lanague can't be a fourth A-level, however. That would entail dropping either History or RE.

5. Excellent advice, she is a a likely Oxbridge student and I was inclined
    to recommend the Lit A Level, so I am glad that this appears to have
    been backed-up with your opinions. I now feel more informed and can feedback your professional opinion to her.