1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colposcopy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by snowstorm, Jun 28, 2011.

1. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Anyone had one?

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I have, snowstorm. About 8 years ago.
    What would you like to know?

3. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks for responding, Manashee. Had one today, and biopsy following two abnormal smears.
    They made out it was nothing, and just normal follow up to 2 abnormal smears. Should I be concerned?

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

No problem, snowstorm. [​IMG]
    Did they define 'abnormal' in their correspondence with you? In my case, I had one letter informing me that my latest smear test had detected the presence of 'a high grade abnormality'. This was then followed up by a letter from my GP which went on to explain this in greater detail. My referral to the colposcopy clinic was outlined in the same GP letter.
    In my case I think that referral to the colposcopy clinic is standard procedure. I underwent a loop biospy for 'removal of pre-cancerous cells' (that was slightly alarming!), was given copious literature to explain the procedure and received a follow up letter a month later confirming that the biopsy itself was the 'treatment' and that I would require follow-up in six months time.
    I had a further smear test 6 months after the biopsy (negative - hurrah!), then another one six months after that (also negative).
    I now have yearly tests and all has been well since (touch wood!).
    I would probably say that there is no reason for you to be concerned, but I get the feeling that they really haven't given you as much information as you would like. To put your mind at rest, I would contact your GP.
    Hope this helps.

5. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks manashee; the chain of follow-up is as you described. Dr said she couldnt see anything un-toward. Glad yours was ok.
    Will just wait for result now.

Thanks again.
    SSx

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks, snowstorm. Hope you get the all clear too. I'm sure you will.
    It was a bit of a shock at the time for me (definitely remember being a bit tearful and scared), but my GP was (and is) excellent, as was the Consultant I saw for the biopsy and they allayed any fears I might have had.
    Meanwhile, Dr manny recommends a nice bubble bath, some chocolate and a glass of wine. Hugs are good too!
    x

7. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Sounds good to me; giving my lindy-hop class a miss tonite and just relaxing.
    SSx

8. I have had two. The colposcopy is no bother at all, less uncomfortable for me than a smear. Rather undignfied due to the stirrups though! Take a sanitary towel as iodine can be used for staining the cervix. The first one I had resulted in me needing a biopsy which was offered there and then, and I accepted. Wasn't too bad all in all, but a bit crampy afterwards. I think it helped that I wasn't expecting treatment on the spot so had no time to worry. After the biopsy I had regular smears every six months for a couple of years.
    The second colposcopy was simply due to the practice nurse being unable to get a reasonable sample during a routine smear, she had three goes over about six months and admited defeat!
    On the bright side, I have now seen my own cervix on a screen. Not many people can say that! Good luck, it'll be fine.

9. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I didnt get to see mine! The examination was fine though, smear and biopsy.

10. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

biopsy result returned with an abnormal CIN2, so I need a further procedure to remove offending cells; anyone experienced this? am concerned about the pain when they administer the anaesthetic.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had my CIN2 cells lasered off at the same time as having the colposcopy (glad really, less hassle than 2 appointments) so only got the result after it had been treated/removed. I have no recollection of an anaesthetic being adminstered but had nothing more than a bit of discomfort.

12. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks Seren; the letter says they will be numbing the area with local anaesthitic, so I have scary visions of a needle being applied there. The colposcopy was painless.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If I had an anaesthetic I either don't remember (it was a few years ago) so maybe it wasn't too bad or maybe I didn't have one and lasering was okay without one.
    Remember you fretted about the colposcopy and it turned out to be okay. Medical things rarely turn out to be as bad/painful as we think they will in my experience.

14. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks Seren; it can't be as painful as giving birth I guess. That thought normally puts thoughts of pain into perspective for me!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It also helps, I think, to remember why you're getting some procedures done - I like to keep in mind that whatever it is it's usually better than the alternative if I didn't have that procedure.

16. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Yes, of course, they have stated that it could turn to cancer in years to come, if left untreated.

17. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

My daughter had this procedure last year and she didn't find it painful, just a bit uncomfortable (and she's even more of a wuss than me) and she's been given the all-clear now, just has to keep up with regular smears.

18. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks Twinkles. Having mine mid-Aug; was a bit worried when doc put his serious face on and said don't leave it too long when I had to postpone end of July appointment.

19. Yes, it was OK. A bit painful for a moment but the doctor apologised when I winced so Is suspect it shouldn't be. Even so, perfectly bearable.

20. Just re-read - I don't remember an anaesthetic either but if there was one it wasn't a problem or I would remember it. Worry not!