1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colours Obeserved Lesson

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by AilsaMcC, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am being observed with Year 8 Spanish (only started in Year 8). We follow the Mira Express SOW and so the lesson will be on colours (having just done animals). It is an extremely mixed ability class.
    We recently had OfSTED and a lot of the feedback came through as more group work, more pupil centred-learning, peer assessment and my school are pretty hot on levels being evertywhere.
    Has anyone got any ideas how to jazz up a colours class? I have already taken that AMAZING logic thing which is on TES but having done it before only about 5 mins. It is with DH of my school and so want to make sure I impress.
    Many thanks
    Ailsa

2. Hi all,
    I am being observed with Year 8 Spanish (only started in Year 8). We follow the Mira Express SOW and so the lesson will be on colours (having just done animals). It is an extremely mixed ability class.
    We recently had OfSTED and a lot of the feedback came through as more group work, more pupil centred-learning, peer assessment and my school are pretty hot on levels being evertywhere.
    Has anyone got any ideas how to jazz up a colours class? I have already taken that AMAZING logic thing which is on TES but having done it before only about 5 mins. It is with DH of my school and so want to make sure I impress.
    Many thanks
    Ailsa

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Is it a new topic or have they done some colours before?

4. What is it you want the students to be able to do? No amount if "jazzing up" will disguise poorly thought-out objectives.
    Go back to first principles and think - is it really of any value to know the random words for animals, colours etc.? Or might it be preferable for students to demonstrate something useful - like being able to write or speak a properly constructed sentence. In this framework, the particular nouns and adjectives will be relatively unimportant secondary constituents. Just a thought - I know it's sometimes a convenient shortcut but I don't think good lessons come from saying that "we're doing colours". What does that mean?

5. Geekie

I have a "betting" activity that chn do in pairs to work out the dolours for themselves rather than you tell them. Will be uploading it to MFL Sunderland v soon. Need phonics so that they can work out the pronunciation. 11 colours for one lesson is not very taxing, so I'd want to see them being used as a way in to adjectival agreement, using your animal words as a context. Describe un chat blue, une souris bleue etc, can they work out the rule for agreement.

6. Geekie

Apols for spelling errors - predictive text, and won't let me edit!

Of course meant un gato rojo / una jirafa roja as tis Spanish!

7. runaway

runaway New commenter

Try reading 'homme de couleurs' by Jerome Ruillier - very thought provoking yet simple language

8. runaway

runaway New commenter

And available in French Spanish German etc.. Google it for lesson ideas

9. runaway

runaway New commenter

Ooh here they are sorry! https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Hombre-de-color-6134330/

10. Thank you for thoughts.
    Perhaps I didnt express myself clearly. "We're doing colours" was simply referring to the next topic as oppose to a specific learning objective.
    I am taking a combination and going to look at using colours to describe paintings and make it a cross curriculur lesson for Art. Pupils will be able to describe paintings using colours. This will allow for plenty of extension work for stronger pupils to describe what else is in the painting!!
    Thank you again, and will def be getting a copy of "hombre de color"
    x

11. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Thanks for drawing my attention to this book - I look forward to using it in German.

12. Geekie