1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colouring pasta tubes,ready for threading activity.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by the apprentice, Feb 7, 2012.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Hi , just hoping someone can help with advice on colouring pasta tubes ready for a threading activity. A few weeks ago a a TA tried to colour pasta in a tray with a bit of food colouring, which worked but was messy and the resulting pasta was a bit patchy looking. Just wondered if any one has a better idea. l did look on the net and it suggested using alcohol,but not sure l want to waste my vodka on that?!!

2. the apprentice

Hi , just hoping someone can help with advice on colouring pasta tubes ready for a threading activity. A few weeks ago a a TA tried to colour pasta in a tray with a bit of food colouring, which worked but was messy and the resulting pasta was a bit patchy looking. Just wondered if any one has a better idea. l did look on the net and it suggested using alcohol,but not sure l want to waste my vodka on that?!!

3. Use food colouring or brusho put in a freezer bag and shake up to get an even coverage. The new natural food colourings do not take to cheap pasta though!

4. I know its a bit pricey but why don'y you buy the coloured pasta (plain, spinach and tomato). Would save a lot of hassle!

5. Try mixing your pasta with food colouring and alcohol from the pharmacy (don't waste your vodka - HA!) in plastic containers w/lids (SHAKE, SHAKE!), then put it on a try to dry. The alcohol makes it dry quickly and the colour is always great. My students have loved working on patterns, making necklaces and bracelets, and just playing around and sorting these excellent coloured beads. Good luck! Have fun!!!

6. the apprentice

Thankyou , will go to the pharmacy around the corner to buy some alcohol and see how it goes! Pasta was on offer and dye was 50p but it all adds up so hoping the alcohol won't cost too much and think I will buy some pre coloured but a lot of it isn't the threading type. Thanks

7. Spray paint? We've done it with gold and silver spray paint in the past.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my ta just put the pasta in a bag with some watered down paint and shook it up. came outlooking beautiful.

9. Since I started teaching many decades ago, I have been concerned about using food for activities.
    I have refused to use potatoes for printing or pasta for threading.

Potatoes and pasta are foods. Why do teachers or TAs still think they are suitable resources?

10. I never use food in the classroom either. I guess it's personal choice. I just can't bring myself to when there are people starving. I know my not using food will obviously not make any difference but I am not comfortable with it. I like to think that I still provide the range of learning opportunities and experiences the children deserve but there are definitely times when I know it would be easier to use food stuffs.

11. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I worked in a local authority which had the same attitude and we were discouraged from using any food products. We didn't need to look abroad for starving children either, there were very hungry families in our local area. The reasoning was it gave a very mixed message to children and families. You may be hungry but we have food to play with here.
    I don't have strong personal views one way or the other but it doesn't do us any harm to think about and reflect on things from time to time.

12. I've been teaching for many years now and have always used food in activities. I'd NEVER thought about the flip side of hungry families etc. I've always worked in the more deprived areas as well where we deal with lots of families who do not have enough money to feed themselves properly.
    Wow, I'd really never considered this before. Lots to think about now. I'll definately be raising this as an issue for my team and think about what alternatives we could use.
    We often put flour or baby rice in the trays for mark making. And cornflour. And lentils and oats.
    This is an interesting topic. Thank you for making me think...

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Thinking is good...[​IMG]