1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colouring hair

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Mar 25, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i know we've discussed this before, but I'm just off to top up my hair with it's 6 weekly dose of number 8. I'm getting fed up with doing it, am too mean to pay to have it done but too vain to let it go. My sister was a natural blond and her hair is now an even silvery white but I had brown hair and i think would be patchy salt and pepper. I think it is more flattering as an even dark blond. I said i would review it at 65 which is this year and am considering going on for another 5 years. I do want to maintain as much of a youthful look as I can but I have to say my skin isn't playing along.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Slightly off on a tangent, but I think Helen Mirren's silvery hair is gorgeous. She's ageing gracefully, which is nice to see.
    Edit: I'm pretty certain she must have help to make it look like that - I doubt it's just turned silver naturally.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Can you go for a colour consultation, lindenlea? They could analyse your skin tone and tell you what type of hair colour you should be using.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Agree about Helen Mirren. She can't help looking wonderful though. I have found a nice new hairdresser but she didn't have much to offer when I brought up the subject on Wednesday.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I reckon it has to be coloured a silvery colour and then you have to hope it grows through a similar tone. If not, perhaps silvery highlights would ease the transition. But if you really don't like your natural colour in the end, I guess you'd have to carry on colouring.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am a natural blonde and have a great colourist. My next appt means it will be 9 weeks ( stupidly ) since the last so I have resorted to buying (for the first time ever ) a Josh Woods root spray. I can do 'grunge' but this is ' grunge ' too far !

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm a natural blonde and, at age 60, am still showing no signs of grey - there's just a couple of silver threads that blend in with all the different shades of gold and copper. Have saved a fortune over the years!

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have to confess my newest daughter-in-law and her sister have always coloured each others hair and she has done mine for both weddings. We buy a well-known brand at a local superstrore when there's a 2 for £xxx offer. Still trying to find exactly the right colour bit at least it washes out fairly quickly if it's wrong.;)

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit I was admiring my 95 (to be 96 this year) mother-in-law's hair yesterday which still has a fair amount of original brown among the white and the 'salt 'n 'pepper' effect is quite youthful. She didn't have a trace of grey till mid 70s. My son says he hopes he inherits those genes.;)

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why don't you do your own?

I use Jerome Russell products. Cheap as chips. You mix it according to your whim. You can do the roots in the comfort of your own home and adjust the shade according to how much powder and how much developer you mix. Old toothbrush. Plus you could put some streaky lights in if you want. Bag over your head. Hour later wash it off. Perfect!

I don't think a hairdresser could do a better job than I.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Son 1 is quite grey at 37 - a rather distinguished iron grey, son 2 has a growing bald patch at 35. I've just done mine with Olia no.8. It'll do for now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

minnie me likes this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

We don't do grey in my family. My hair was very dark and now has a smattering of grey throughout. Oldest brother is the same. Next brother took after Dad and has a shiny egg head but a bushy beard. Only sister also takes after dad's family and is very fair-always has been . She's flirted with colours over the years but I've never bothered.

OH is a silver fox and has been since his 20s. I've never seen his hair any other colour. It's very distinctive!!

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm thinking
    [​IMG]

Am I right?

15. grumpydogwoman

Works on him perhaps.

I wouldn't like that colour on me.

It's also the texture. That's the problem. The texture. Not good.

16. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

How did George Clooney get to be so handsome?

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Nah!

18. grumpydogwoman

In the spirit of finding fault (women do this to themselves and to each other) his brows could do with a trim, the hair isn't well-styled and probably wiry and...and...and his sideboards are too long.

But dammit. He IS a handsome bloke. And I'm a lesbian!!!! :oops::eek:o_O

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter