1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colouring books for adults.....really?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Thegirlfrommars, Sep 8, 2015.

1. I don't get this new craze.....It just seems like a real waste of time. Its not creative but doodling endlessly. I do like a bit of colouring with my granddaughter but the claim that it helps with mindfulness is just to get people buying the books.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've not encountered this so far, but I'm intrigued. Do you know who the intended market is aimed at? Is it any different from the books of word searches and similar activity magazines aimed at the adult market to while away their lives?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Colouring? Oh, I've heard of it and seen the books. I detested colouring from the year dot. Hated it. Despised it. Never asked a class to do colouring. Ever. Waste of a life.

Also word searches. I don't know which I loathe more. Pointless. Senseless. Stupid.

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Quite a number of years ago, I was bought a colouring book of classic album covers - it was fun for....oooooh minutes

EDIT: As the reply box is now grey and no white text box

A number of schools round here now offer 'Colouring Clubs' after school.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You shouldn't be judgemental about the people who enjoy word searches, GDW. They appeal to the elderly hoping to battle dementia.

I've been wondering whether TES need to do a bit of sign posting for a much commented on poster, who does word searches in the posts we all contribute and hits the bingo button whenever she finds a word that was frowned on back in the mid-war years of the depression, which is when I imagine she was brought up.

I'd expect a colouring book would be right up her street, especially if it had tasteful stuff to colour in.

I'll flag it up for a topic to discuss among the extra-care homes and you never know, it might get picked up by the manager of the one I envisage this poster inhabits so he or she can provide a bit more palliative care.

6. lattedrinker

lattedrinker New commenter

These books are supposed to be 'de-stressful' or calming.

Not a fan tbh.

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have seen these colouring books and thought they looked interesting, but I haven't bought one because a) when do I have time to colour? and b) once you've done one pattern the rest are basically the same so it's a waste of money as far as I can see.

I content myself with colouring, cutting and sticking with my reception class. And knitting at home when there's something on TV.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a few friends who have bought them. I guess they are a quick easy way to do something a little creative. I am with GDW. I despise colouring in but then I don't like any type of crafting.

I prefer to cook or go for a walk (when I can walk - 4 weeks in plaster to go!)

9. grumpydogwoman

You want to get them onto Sudoku, DoY. Better than wordsearches for battling dementia.

10. grumpydogwoman

4 weeks to go? Bummer. Hope the recovery speeds ahead, bs.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Is cooking not a craft then Bombay? I would have said that people who are expert cooks/bakers are very creative people.

Best wishes for your continued recovery btw.

I am a hopeless cook, so will continue with my knitting, cross stitch and crochet. The stash must be used up somehow.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I seem to be in the minority here - I have an 'adult colouring book'. My sister bought it for me when I was immobilised following knee surgery and I find it relaxing. Last week I bought one for my 86 year old M-i-L when we were out shopping together. (She does do Sudoku and other puzzles to keep her brain active.) My two D-i-L have both got 'quest' colouring books too. We all do lots of other creative tasks such as baking, knitting, painting etc.

Each to his (or her) own ... ...

My best wishes for a speedy recovery too Bombay.

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Who are those people who buy those horrible looking Puzzle Books? The users rarely look capable of solving proper puzzles...

14. grumpydogwoman

Clearly then it isn't only the brain-dead who do colouring. I was wrong.

But I bet most of 'them' aren't as literate as marlin.

Adult? In inverted commas? I'm thinking 'erotic'. Ho hum. I expect there are different genres. Why not, eh?

15. grumpydogwoman

[​IMG]

O M G!!!!!!!

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whilst I wouldn't want to put a damper on anyone who enjoys sudoku, word searches, etc, there is no evidence at all that doing them helps "combat" or prevent dementia.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And I agree with those who think that colouring books for adults is a pathetic notion.

18. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Colouring-in and having to concentrate on not going over the lines is supposed to be a useful mindfulness exercise. It makes you focus on the moment and relieves anxiety.

19. grumpydogwoman

[​IMG]

Hmm. This is good. I could maybe try this. Wouldn't help my anxiety but it might relieve some stress if I just scribbled all over it.

20. marlin

marlin Star commenter

[​IMG]