1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colour theme

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Cookies, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hiya, does anyone have any planning ideas for a colour theme? Thanks in advance xxx

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What exactly do you mean by 'a colour theme'? Are your children training to become interior decorators? Why do you want to have such a theme? I am genuinely interested.

3. It's never to early to set the children on the right path. A big market for interior design!

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd base activities on "Elmer" - there are lots of resources in the Resource Bank. There was also a thread last term about colour mixing, which had some brilliant ideas - but it might have disappeared with the change to the new site.

5. Ha Ha. I actually meant a colour topic. Had thought of Elmer, Brown bear etc. Just wondered if anyone had any cool ideas for new Nursery aged children xxx

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My question still stands. Are you trying to teach them colours? They might know them already. Elmer is quite advanced for some 3 year olds. Why not start with something more personal or interesting?They will be learning colours whatever you do if they don't know them already. How about finding out what they can do and recording it. We can sing, we can dance, run, jump, skip, hop, throw a ball, paint, glue, make marks, mix colours make pictures of ourselves. And incorporate the season too - we can sweep the fallen leaves, we can crunch them, make leaf prints, find conkers, thread conkers, count conkers, pick berries, make jam etc etc. Get them in touch with the things that really matter and that really count for them. Learning colours is too insignificant, small and limiting a 'topic' Sorry I am not trying to be dismissive. But I think nursery needs inspiration and adventure. Can you see what I am trying to say?

I cannot tell you how many sad 'colour' tables I have seen with green combs and orange slides and blue spades etc. Grass is green, oranges are orange, lemons are yellow, tomatoes are red. Spring leaves are green, autumn leaves are brown, yellow, orange,russet.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

That is interesting Nutella

I do sad colour tables I am afraid. It keeps people off my back!

But I do think that many children do know their colours by three. We apparently teach them colours for two years, repeat the dose in reception and then the year one teacher will always say, they don't know their colours. Same for shape. What is going on?

I saw in someone else's classroom, a decorating shop role play area. THey had wallpaper samples and paint pots wrapped in the appr. colour with tissue to match inside and paint brushes and rollers .................

..........I think observational paintings are good for colour development. And cellophane and big boxes with windows of colour cellophane to look through. That'll teach 'em. And so on

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

And make jelly.

And have a colour themed party. Or colour Fridays. This Friday .......everyone in yellow.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But, Nelly, the main reason for making jelly ( apart from getting to eat it!) is to show how heat and liquid tranform solids- this would connect with melting chocolate and making chocolate drops, melting wax and dipping string in it in turns to make candle tapers, making cakes, burning matchsticks and drawing with them. etc. And what makes Fridays yellow unless you have synaesthesia? Why not dress in green one day and hide in the bushes to introduce the notion of camouflage? There has to be a REASON for things. And the reason for things is that children learn how to make connections.

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The main reason for making jelly is it wobbles and tastes nice. And makes you sticky.

You scientist you!

So colour is about light then? Better put it after half term when all the Festivals get going, lots more to talk about then.

Elmer is not brill for nursery but it keeps the teachers occupied so the children can do something more useful.

And a colour topic is so good for those clear learning outcomes.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

OK. All those are valid reasons for making jelly (I'm all for wobbly stickiness)but since it comes in lots of different colours it has no particular relevance to any one colour. I am not a scientist. I am a linguist. I despise the 'clear learning outcomes'. They do nothing to advance learning. Are you teasing me? I am not good at detecting when I am being teased. I am totally serious. I don't believe we can sell young children short.

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I despise clear learning outcomes too Nutella.

But I have to have them or else I am going to be in big bother. But I just stick some early learning goal in there and hope for the best.

And make some jelly. Has to be the vegetarian sort though, which is a bit expensive.

13. Yay another vegetarian :)

14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

noooo

multi cultural issue.

15. Oh. Oh yeah. Derrrrr!

16. I'm a vegie and I'm not afraid to announce so there! Cookies I put together a info sheet with photos. I often find photos spark ideas. Here's the link and I hope it's useful.

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6001801&preview=1

And jelly for ever reason is for many a wonderful thing. I personally hate the stuff. I also hate peas but everyone else seems to love them. Would be great for green day!

17. Yay I'm not alone :)

I don't like peas either

18. Thank G-d! What is it with peas. They put into everything. Surely that's not right?

19. They look like green rabbit droppings. Yuck. Mushy peas are even worse what is it with people's fascination of mushy peas!!

20. I think they just can't stop growing. They are in fact weeds and so to keep under control people are made to eat them. Or they are little micro bugs which then allow the Gov et al to track everyone! Not sure about how the mushy peas work but technology amazing so who knows?