1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colonoscopy on Tuesday - any advice?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Twinkles, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I've been warned about the Movi Prep I've got to take on Monday but, any more words of wisdom from those who have been through this?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't leave the house after you take the prep. It kicks in after a couple of hours and is VERY effective. It's not pleasant as you may vomit as well as....
    You may get a headache from the resulting slight dehydration.
    The actual colonoscopy is painless. Undignified, but a breeze. Treat yourself to a lovely meal afterwards.
    Good luck, Twinkles. x

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My mother is a nurse and works on the Endoscopy ward, so she's seen lots of these. She is always baffled by the people who turn up having had some form of food, however small, when the instructions say STRICTLY no food. Really adhere by the instructions to the letter. They mean every word!
    Other than that, try to relax.
    And prepare a treat for yourself afterwards. xxx

4. My man had one just last week. The Moviprep is VERY effective, but works quickly - he had his first dose at lunchtime, the second one at 4, and felt able to go to the pub that evening (no alcohol, obviously). It's very important to take the cleaning out process seriously - I believe it's the main reason for inconclusive results, and you don't want to go through all that for nothing. He came out afterwards reckoning he was fine, but to me he was somewhat spaced out. Once I got him home, he slept all afternoon. Remember you're not allowed to 'operate machinery' for 24 hours afterwards - and apparently that includes things like using a kettle or cooker, as well as the more obvious things like driving or using power tools.
    Hope everything 'up there' is fine - let us know how you get on.
    xx

5. Had a colonscopy and a gastroscopy together earlier in the year. Was dreading it, but the Moviprep was definitely the worst bit. Tastes like lemon/lime mixed with salt and it's the quantity of it which you have to take which will is the most difficult part of the whole thing. Works quickly so set up your stall in the bathroom as you will be there a while. The actual procedure itself I can't remember as the sedation more or less knocked me out. You'll be fine. Good luck!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You may be advised that you only need to take the last of the moviprep if what you pass is not clear - take it anyway because your idea of clear and the test's idea of clear are two different things. My son had to repeat it on one occasion because he thought he was clear enough but hospital begged to differ.
    I found it okay when I had one but was very, very tired afterwards. I had some discomfort during the test but the re-sedated me and I was fine again.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

The Moviprep is the worst, IMO. I retch because it tastes awful. Stay in the house near a toilet; the effects can last until the next day, right up to the procedure, I've found.
    Th colonoscopy itself is fine and you can watch it on camera. Follow the instructions to the letter!
    I had gas and air last time; they don't sedate any more at my hospital, so I couldn't fall asleep.
    You'll feel groggy afterwards.

8. Have sent a p.m. Gas and air only?! OMG!

9. I had a barium enema and a sigmoidoscipy and had the big clear out for the barium enema. I was expecting it to be absolutely dreadful but it was fine. I have an ensuite so I just laid on the bed for the afternoon watching dvds. I found it effective but it was never that urgent that I couldn't make it as some people seemed to. It's the lack of food I found difficult I was so hungry and to be honest it was better I stayed upstairs as hubby and girls were cooking curry. The sigmoidoscopy just entailed an enema which I did at home that was much worst trying to get into position.
    I found the sigmoidoscopy quite painful but that is because of my condition I wasn't offered any sedation and thought a bit of gas and air would have been wonderful but it wasn't offered. It's the bit where they go round the bends that hurts and obviously that first bend is quite an acute bend. I am sure it will be a breeze for you so don't worry about it.

10. Oh and drink lots and lots of water to avoid dehydration!

11. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Thank goodness that is over! Despite the sedation, I found it really very painful and they had to keep telling me not to shout!
    Still, on the plus side, there was nothing untoward anywhere in there and it seems that.despite what my GP said originally, it is just good old-fashioned piles that are causing the trouble!
    Thank you to everyone for the support. [​IMG]

12. What a relief! Hope you celebrate tonight!

13. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

F.e.c.k.i.t, do it any way.

I fell your pain, having done this earlier this year.

14. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

My post recommending Billy Connolly's take on the was cut - youtube it.

15. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I found that on Youtube and watchied it while I was taking the horrible Moviprep - really made me laugh...and it was so true!

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had a colonoscopy years ago, after an enema, and they didn't gave me any sedation or gas/air. They managed to get the camera tube in about 20 inches and I was uncomfortable and tender for most of it.
    I saw the scissors on the screen cutting out the biopsy tissue but didn't feel that at all.
    There was nothing suspicious from the test but they did write in the report that I had an 'unusually tortuous colon", which probably explains the discomfort as they tried to get the camera tube moving ever upwards!