1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colonial crimes | DW Documentary

Discussion in 'History' started by AndrewvanZyl, Oct 21, 2020.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Established commenter

For more than a century, people were taken from their homelands and exhibited in human zoos. They were displayed alongside animals. This little known and deeply disturbing part of colonial history played an important part in the development of modern racism. Between 1810 and 1940, nearly 35 thousand people were exhibited in world fairs, colonial exhibitions, zoos, freak shows, circuses and reconstructed ethnic villages in Europe, America and Japan. Some 1.5 billion visitors attended these events. Using previously unpublished archive material this documentary traces how racism was constructed and disseminated in these so-called ‘human zoos’. Children, women and men were displayed like exotic animals, and ordered in a hierarchy of "races." They were cast as ‘Other’ in a manner that served to justify colonialism, and described as ‘savage’. It is a little known and deeply disturbing part of colonial history. Only a handful of the thousands of men and women recruited from the four corners of the Earth ever managed to tell their experiences. This documentary tells the story of six of them: Tambo, an Aboriginal from Australia; Kalina from French Guiana; Ota Benga, a Pygmy from Congo; and Marius Kaloïe, a Kanak from New Caledonia. This documentary interviews historians and other experts to trace the connection between human zoos and racism.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Looks interesting, though I'm not surprised I will take a look when I can.

I'd say some pre covid "travelling" to see how others live is akin to observing others in situ in a similarly curious but free way. Why do we feel the need to observe others, from celeb gossip to the alleged higher activity of travelling to "experience" other people's way of life, to me its a slightly glorified disneyland visit as on the whole is fairly hedonistic, the only reason its tolerated is the money it draws in that is often gratefully received.